The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #61
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

"How do you choose your meat?".

Glad I wasn't there for that.

Congratulations All

Unread 08-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #62
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
We got some decent time on the camera, but hinestly dave.... i'd vote for the three stooges more than south park.
You forget the "fark this and that" and the "aw $hit'$" that were going on while the film crew was at adjacent cook sites!

That's worthy of South Park! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #63
chad

Classic quote from another competitor (which we whupped!):

"Next time I'm just getting a bottle of Bullseye an some honey. Then I'm going to overcook the meat and turn it in. That should win me something!" :D

One thing we really noticed - while there were a lot of Klose rigs and some from Lang, OK Joe, etc. there were also a lot of the plug in, set the thermostat and go to sleep teams there - too. Southern Pride, etc. There were several discussions with other cookers about these "automate" rigs. It's enough to make you consider a Traeger or Badley!! All you need is a bag of pellets or "biscuits" an a/c plug and a comfy cot!

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #64
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Quote:
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
What the fark is that?
Red Green mod. It's the possom lodge motto, they say it at the meetings right before the man's prayer. It "translates" to If all else fails play dead.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 10:51 AM   #65
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
.....Mook wandering NoCal in search of sauce.....
"Where in NoCal is Mook?"

LOL

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #66
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Don’t know much, if anything about “pellet cooking”.
But, seems to me there should be a different category for these “automate rigs”, or is it that I’m not understanding what that means?? Are these rigs wood and or charcoal fired? Because if they are, what’s the difference between them and using a Klose, Bandera etc. with a NU Temp?
Enlighten Please??

Cabo

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #67
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Quote:
We got some decent time on the camera, but hinestly dave.... i'd vote for the three stooges more than south park.
You forget the "fark this and that" and the "aw $hit'$" that were going on while the film crew was at adjacent cook sites!

That's worthy of South Park! :D
Forgot about that.

All morning saturday, we had a steady wind comin at our backs. felt like maybe 8-10 Mph. Everytime i opened the chamber, even for a second, the wind would just rush intot the chamber and temps would crash. I had wings and thighs in the top of the horizontal that i was trying to push. It was a catch22, i had to beef up the heat to push things along and also to carmelize, but that creates the need to move stuff around and turn the wings and thighs a little more often, thus the need to open the chamber.

At one point, i opened the chamber and jsut as i did the wind kicked up a gust and blew right into me. I guess the roving camera saw me opening the chamber and came over. I sensed someone behind me and thought it was Rob. I'm talkin to my self saying and then to "Rob"...... "Sh*t!! , This F*ckin winding wind is killing us. We need a friggin wind break, what if we....." And i turned to speak to rob to suggest we put up the second wall on the tent. When i turned, there was a big ass camera on me.. with a mike....

only thing i can say... "Oh.. hello?"

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #68
brdbbq

only thing i can say... "Oh.. hello?"

Foot in Mouth Mod

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #69
chad

The rules say you can use any commercial or homemade rig as long as it burns wood, charcoal, or pellets. Electric rotisseries or fans are allowed. The pellet rigs usually have an auger setup (usually electric) that feeds the fire automatically -- it is also tied to a thermostat that regulates how many or how often to feed the pellets. Other rigs use a thermostat with a fan that "fand the flames" when the temp drops and shuts off when the temp reaches whatever you set.

The automatic feed or the thermostatically controlled fans take most of the fire management decisons away from you -- just set it, fill the hopper, and go to bed. This is what screwed up Al Roker in last years filmed MIM competition -- the storm hit overnight and the a/c was cut off -- the team got up (at the motel) the next morning and when they arrived at the cook site they found that the cooker had gone out (duh!).

I can't believe anyone completely leaving the site unattended. When we were "napping" we had a NuTemp in the tent (across the street) and could hear what was going on at the cook site.

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #70
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Pellet cooking is all within the rules, augers and fans are legal and pellets are wood. It does give you the advantage of constent temp range but it still gets down to the fact you have to have the techniques down. You load the hopper with pellets and they are delivered to the firepot either on a time basis or regulated by a thermosat.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #71
badger
Bash lurker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33

interviewer: Your team is Brothers in smoke. Are you guys brothers?
Me: I am NOT related to him.!
Dave: We aren't brothers. He's from Ny and Im from florida and he called me to come up and cook with him but the called me right before the hurricane, and i answered tthe fone and told him we were gonna have a hurricane and i told him that i couldnt give him an answer till after the hurricane and then the hurricane came and we did prettty good with the hurricane cause it was gonna pass us to the south so we made it thru the hurricane and thats when i figured its ok to call him so i had to talk to mama and make sure it was ok with her and she said to go and thats when I said ok im gonna call phil and then i picked up the phone and told him i was gonna come up so we worked out the .......................

Me to interviewer(who at this point was going uh-huh, uh-huh.): This is how we do it in the group.

Me to Dave: Dave, Take a breath.

I was mearly trying to stop you from fainitng on camera.
I heard that David was the quite one of the group.
NB Bandera - modded.
Unknown Offset Horizontal- Looking for my babies daddy!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #72
brdbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33

interviewer: Your team is Brothers in smoke. Are you guys brothers?
Me: I am NOT related to him.!
Dave: We aren't brothers. He's from Ny and Im from florida and he called me to come up and cook with him but the called me right before the hurricane, and i answered tthe fone and told him we were gonna have a hurricane and i told him that i couldnt give him an answer till after the hurricane and then the hurricane came and we did prettty good with the hurricane cause it was gonna pass us to the south so we made it thru the hurricane and thats when i figured its ok to call him so i had to talk to mama and make sure it was ok with her and she said to go and thats when I said ok im gonna call phil and then i picked up the phone and told him i was gonna come up so we worked out the .......................

Me to interviewer(who at this point was going uh-huh, uh-huh.): This is how we do it in the group.

Me to Dave: Dave, Take a breath.

I was mearly trying to stop you from fainitng on camera.
I heard that David was the quite one of the group.
Shiiiiittttt
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #73
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
This is what screwed up Al Roker in last years filmed MIM competition -- the storm hit overnight and the a/c was cut off -- the team got up (at the motel) the next morning and when they arrived at the cook site they found that the cooker had gone out (duh!).

I can't believe anyone completely leaving the site unattended. When we were "napping" we had a NuTemp in the tent (across the street) and could hear what was going on at the cook site.

OK, makes me feel a little better.
Using a thermometer is one thing but,
I still think that all the extra gadgetry (fans, feeding the fire automatically is kinda not exactly according to Hoyle). But, you guys proved, all the gadgetry in the world is no substitute for good old know how.
Hell, use your high tech methods. Don’t even matter if you’ve been on the Today Show, or lost a hundred pounds. It don’t make you any smarter, or a better cook.
The cream will rise to the top.

Cabo

Unread 08-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #74
chad

More and more details and stories surface as I relive the weekend -- speaking of fire management and strategy.

One thing you do is try to estimate the cooking time so that the food is ready on time. We guestimated on the brisket and pork and didn't mind the thought of being a bit early and letting the meat sit in the cooler a while.

So, we fired up the WSMs at about 9:30 or 10:00 pm -- after the smokers settled down the meat went into the cookers and we started messing with the chicken and ribs. Tipping, brining, etc. Oh yeah, we kept saying "we ought to go get some sleep while we can".

Anyway, about 4:00 a.m. we've decided it's time to take a nap -- only problem is we're planning on getting up around 5:00 a.m. to fire up the Klose, etc.

Rob and I crash in his tent in the grass across the street from the cook site and Phil heads for the hotel room (about 100 yards and 6 flights up away). Just before he left us Phil verified the NuTemp was working in the tent and the temps were ok.

Found out about 5:30 when Phil came back that our next door "neighbor" had called him on the phone about 4:15 ranting about our cold cooker, where were we, etc. Phil started explaining that we were using the WSM's :D

I wound up getting up at about 4:55, splashing some cold water on my face, brushing my teeth with bottled water, etc.

Rob rolled out a little after me and we fired up the Klose and when Phil showed up we rinsed the chicken and ribs and started getting them marinaded (chicken) and rubbed (ribs). We all took a big breath and launched into the day that would not end.

Time management is a HUGE part of competition cooking. I'm really glad I got to work on this cookoff before the Southern Brethren debut in October!!

Unread 08-23-2004, 01:25 PM   #75
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Hmmmm, Helpfull neighbor mod????

Cabo