The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Will/When BBQ catering calls die down for winter

For those that cater BBQ only in parts of the U.S with cold winters when will the catering calls die down for winter? I'm in Va and after October the weater starts to get cold. This is our first year catering and concessions and I have been hitting it pretty hard since April 1st. Right now I am wide open til mid September and then two festivals in October and I am ready for a break. Just wondering when to expect it to die down.
Unread 08-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

your gonna expect no money LOL hopefully holiday parties will start kicking in
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

It doesn't get cold here---but it gets rainy, and people do not want BBQ during rainy seasons.

We stay very busy until the end of October---we always say that after Halloween it goes away.

December is always busy even if the weather is bad---but after Christmas and maybe a New Years Eve gig--things die down until March.

We always vend at a very large event in January every year --just so we don't forget how to cook.

The best way to have a good job in the "off" months is to create a party and promote it.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Usually November and December are big months with holidays. We sell a lot of 5 and 10 lb packages of meat during that time.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

May - October are my bread and butter months. Anything between and I count that as gravy!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
The Drill Sargent
Got Wood.

You might want to think how to market drop off meals, ie. thanksgiving dinner, holiday parties, "your friends will think you did it yourself!" that type of thing, also develop more of a winter menu, turkey, duck, roast beef, prime rib. Get the info to places with people who have money like country clubs. Just my 2 pennies!
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

My suggestion to everyone is to get contact info email addresses ect. Thanks giving rocks on turkeys, Superbowl rocks for prepacked vac sucked pulled pork that the customer can thaw and rewarm. nutting better than having bbq year round at your finger tips. Prepacked frozen bbq for sale in winter months will bring in some $$ keep customers happy and prolly gain a few if they know they can get their fix 365. Let them know that you offer this. You also cook and stock up the freezer when you want to!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We book through the end of December with great regularity. This year we took a 400 person job on New Years Eve. Holiday parties are a great revenue source. January, February and March are our off months, and very welcome.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote