ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-09-2004, 04:00 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoked Italian Beef

The rump roast experiment was a success. I inserted garlic cloves wrapped in fresh sage leaves all over the rump roast. Rubbed with olive oil salt and pepper than seared all sides over very hot coals on my Weber Performer. Transferred the roast to the top rack in the Bandera and smoked at 190*-220* for two hours. Placed in an aluminum pie pan added 1/2-3/4 cup of Chianti and covered tightly with foil returning it to the top rack for another 2 1/2 hours. When I uncovered the roast it was simmering in its juices. Placed the roast in the fridge overnight and sliced thinly. Sautee'd onions, mushrooms, and pepperoccini's. Added juices and sliced beef and simmered until meet was warm. Delicious.

I was surprised to find a 1/4" smoke ring on the meet. I figured after searing the roast I wouldn't get the ring.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Neil
This a recipe for Bresaola(Italian cured beef). You can air dry or smoke (in our case smoking is the only way to go).

Here is one recipe and I have another at home I will give you also:
5 1/2 lb beef eye round or top round

Marinade:
3 qt dry red wine, or as needed to cover beef
4 oz/wt salt
1 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 each bay leaves
1 spring fresh rosemary
1 oz/wt Prague Powder #2
7 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste

Trim the beef and place it in a deep hotel pan or other suitable container. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Pour enough marinade over the beef to submerge it. Use a plate or plastic wrap to keep it completely below the surface. Cure the beef under refrigeration for 8 days. Turn the beef at least once daily as it marinates. Remove the beef from the marinade, blot dry, wrap in clean cheesecloth, and hang to dry in a cool, dry room for 4 to 5 days. The beef is now ready to slice thinly and serve, or it may be properly wrapped and stored under refrigeration until ready to use.
For smoking use oak or fruitwoods smoke at a low pit temp (200 to 225º) take to an internal finish temp of 125 to 127º.

I use more black pepper than this recipe calls for.

I will post the other recipe this evening.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Jim,

What is a hotel pan?

Trout

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What temp and humidity should the cool dry room be?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Hotel pan is a chafer pan.
If you are going to air dry you need to wait until fall or winter to do this recipe. The room would need to be at 50 to 55º, lower the humidity the better. I realy suggest that you smoke it, is very good.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Unread 08-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Hotel Pan
These are rectangular stainless steel pans used to cook, store and serve food, and are designed to fit in steam tables, racks and chafers.

A full size pan is 12 X 20 inches, and there are also 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 and 1/9 sizes. The standard depth is 2 inches, with 4 inch and 6 inch deep sizes. Another variation has perforated sides and bottoms for steaming foods.

These boys come in several sizes. 2, 4, 6, and 10 inch sizes. The inches is how deep the pan is.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Stucue74
On the road to being a farker

Thought I'd revive an old thread. I'd like to try my hand at roast beef in the Dera. My goal is to slice into paper thin roast beef slices and food save for future sandwich use. I have a slicer for the thin slicing, however, I'm not real sure if Neil's above method would create the results I'm looking for and don't have the capacity or time to do Jim's method. Any thoughts on the correct cut for this? rump roast? temps, times, and method?

Unread 10-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Bryan
Top sirloin roast would be perfect, normally range 10 to 15 pounds, remove the silver skin and contective tissue. I use a mop for seasoning and smoke to 127 to 130 internal. This will give you med rare center go a little higher if want med. Slicing very thin is a great way to handle it.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Unread 10-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Stucue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Bryan
Top sirloin roast would be perfect, normally range 10 to 15 pounds, remove the silver skin and contective tissue. I use a mop for seasoning and smoke to 127 to 130 internal. This will give you med rare center go a little higher if want med. Slicing very thin is a great way to handle it.
Thanks for the tip Jim. Any idea on how long of a smoke a 10-15 lb roast would take to get to 130? Could you cut into 1/3's to speed up the cooking time? And what cooking chamber temp is optimal?

Unread 10-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I handle it a lot like I do Prime Rib, a little higher than normal pit temps so I can have some meat closer to med well for those that want to go there. Cooking times are closer to PR times than brisket. Just make sure you don't over cook it.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Unread 10-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

I never timed it, but 12-15 lb prime rib takes about 4 hours. comes out to about 20mins lb. I start out hot, over 300 for the first 20-30 mins.... in the hot spot of the BYC.. , then cook on the high side of 250-275 for the duration.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
Stucue74

Jeeze, 10-15 lbs of top sirloin roast will break the bank for the sandwich budget. Do they make this cut in retail grocery's smaller like Albertsons or Walmart?

Unread 10-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Stucue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucue74
Jeeze, 10-15 lbs of top sirloin roast will break the bank for the sandwich budget. Do they make this cut in retail grocery's smaller like Albertsons or Walmart?

Does anyone know if certain grocery stores sell smaller blocks of top sirloin roast?

Unread 10-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Does anyone know if certain grocery stores sell smaller blocks of top sirloin roast?
My local Wal-Mart SuperCenter has small sirloin roasts pretty much all the time.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
Stucue74

I was in a hurry the other day at Albertson's and thought I found a 2 1/2 lb top sirloin roast and ended up at home with 3 small steaks, so we had steak that night . Maybe I'll check the Wmart Supercenter.

Thanks KCquer.