The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Example of Bad Customer Service

So my Large Egg's ceramic fire grate broke. Bad design IMNSHO, but that's a different thread. I decided to shop for a replacement cast iron grate today and talked to a local place called The Hearth and Grill Shopwho had some on order but none in stock. I decided to stop by on my way home since it was just up the street from another stop I had to make, and when I walked in, I noticed that they had five Large BGEs on the floor, all of them with cast iron grates. A sales guy came up, I explained my plite and offerred to buy a grate from him right then, which he could replace when the order came in. He said that "they don't do that," so I asked to talk to a manager and make the offer to him. He gave me the same answer, that he never cannibalizes parts from a complete grill, and said I should come back later this week because they should have 12 in by Friday.

I asked him if he really expected to sell five large BGEs before Friday, and to that he said "I hope so!" He repeated that he never parts out complete units because some one could buy it and he won't be able to sell it, so I told him if he didn't sell me a grate, I'd make sure to buy it some where else. He held firm.

Now I understand his point of view: His profit margin on a new BGE is much, much higher than a single fire grate, and he doesn't want to prevent himself from selling the high margin item. If he only had one or two in stock, I may not have even asked, but having five of them, I think it's...less than great service to treat me that way. If he doesn't sell that fifth Egg before Friday, he'll have lost the sale on the grate for nothing, but also probably have last me as a customer. Considering that my father is interested in a Performer, which they sell, and my FIL is interested in a pellet heater, which they sell, some times showing a little bit of service goes longer than the margin at hand. Just wanted to spread the word that these guys, while neither rude nor mean, don't have the customer service touch that some might expect, especially for an expensive, luxury line like BGE.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't have any knowledge of the ceramic Fire Grate but on the Cast Iron one, mine was replaced without question when it cracked almost 1/2 way through (took about 2 years until I asked for a replacement). I think it depends on the store, some of them just do not get customer service. It is rampant around here, people just cannot think outside the box.

BGE Corp has been the BEST company I have dealt with in a long time!!!

It burns my arse that they (local Dealers) do not understand that if take care of a customer they will come back and tell others about the great service they got from the store. You just cannot tell me that they are doing so well they do not care, corporate America needs to take care or their customers if they want to survive.

Now the bottom line is, you were just wrong, they will sell all 5 of those by Thursday and you were asking them to lose sales, bad you!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Good customer service for them also could of looked like this: Manager could of asked you to sit down for a minute while he called BGE corporate and asked their customer service to help you out. He prob has a dealer channel rep that is there to assist dealers and reps usually want to do the right thing. I do understand his reluctance, but 5 eggs really does give a buffer. Unless he was concerned that his 12 were not coming in on Friday. Seems a little odd that a dealer would wait for his inventory to go to zero without having ordered extra before that point. Perhaps all the parts of the story they shared with you were not all there was to share.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
The Frog
Knows what a fatty is.

I've done my time in retail..... and by and large we would pull a part off of something to give to a customer, most of the time for free because something broke that shouldn't have.... but a few factors play into it:

A) Did the customer buy the original product with us? Is it a warranty issue? (It isn't as though you were asking for something for free)
B) How difficult will it be to get the replacement? (no real problem, from what it sounds like)
C) Is the replacement part going to be different from the original? Are they going to have 4 identical eggs and one odd ball that is going to be harder to sell because of the replacement grate?

As expensive as eggs are, I can't believe they would sell them all. I'm with you. Sounds like bad CS.

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

The guy I worked for on my first job always used to say "Don't let the dime hide the dollar"
which goes right along with the BGE dealer not selling a grate to not break up the set.

I'd like to be remembered as one of those "larger than life" people, but as I'm only 5'6" I just work on being *wider* than life.
(Pedro Moura Pinheiro, a funny guy)
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

That kind of customer service might explain why he still has 5 BGEs in stock at one time.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote