MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thank you Tom for posting the agenda for tonight’s meting. I wish I could just dial in and listen to it but that’s another subject for another time.

Please don’t misunderstand my comments. It’s not sour grapes about a score. I would just like a little feed back when I have five judges giving me 8’s and 9’s and a single judge giving me a 3 or 4 for appearance. The fact that this has happened 3 out of 9 comps this year makes me wonder. The simple rule of requiring cards for anything lower than a 5 would help greatly.

Do I think there is a down side? I don’t know. I’ve heard the rumblings that if we require cards for anything lower than a 6 then we would never see scores lower than a 6 because the judges won’t fill out the cards. I say that if this is the case, I know which judges I would like to keep around; the ones that complete the cards, the honest ones.

I know that this is just a small part of the problem. If you listed into last months meeting, Ed stated that Reps are getting push back from CBJ’s with expired membership as to why they should bother joining KCBS, and should they even bother asking for a current membership card. Maybe I’m just getting old, but since when do you join an organization for one year and continue to reap the benefits for years after your membership has expired? They are now talking about dumping the CBJ Verification Programs because of this problem. I say, they should be dumping those old CBJ’s that don’t have a current membership. You can still judge, just don’t call yourself a CBJ.

Tom, I’m glad you’re running. I think we could use someone that would take a hard look and a hard line with some of the problems that seem to be obvious to the membership but not to some on the BoD.

Rant over (I think)
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Do you feel the same way about the judge that's giving 9's when the table average is 7's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contracted Cookers View Post
if a judge scores down 2 points or lower then average from the rest of the table. table captain should have to step in with another table captain and see if there score is legit. I also thank that a table captian should have at least 10 contest to his or her credit. before they are allowed to table captian . we cannot keep having such skewed scoreing
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Do you feel the same way about the judge that's giving 9's when the table average is 7's?
If I get five 7's and a single 9, yes, I feel the same as if I get five 8's and 9's and a single 6.

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

At the royal, I got scores at both the Invitional and the Open, with four judges giving me 8's & 9's and two giving me 5,6 & 7's. What do I attribute this too? I suspect that when the judges are given their instructions, the celebs and non-cbj's take the start at 6 to heart and hold out the 8's & 9's for a better box. They lose sight of the fact that they are judging the entry in front of them and not comparing it to all others. What to do about it would be a difficult task to cover in a post.

Maybe a better set of instructions and reinforcement by the table captain and reps would help. I have judged (I am a cbj) and during the before meeting, it's like a circus with little attention paid to what is being said by a majority as the CBJ's have heard it all before and it is difficult for the newbe to really grasp what is going on in such a short time.

Maybe assigning a cbj to a newbe before judging to go through the procedure and talk about the process and expectations would help.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
.....They are now talking about dumping the CBJ Verification Programs because of this problem. I say, they should be dumping those old CBJ’s that don’t have a current membership. You can still judge, just don’t call yourself a CBJ. Rant over (I think)
Jeff, I agree 1,000% . However, it's up to each organizer as to whether they use current dues paying members or folks off of the street as judges. The organizer has the right to require all judges to be CBJs who are paid up on their dues - or not. If he wants to be able to post in next year's Bullsheet that his contest had 100% CBJs then that means that they all had to have been current in their KCBS dues. If a judge had been a CBJ, but his dues have lapsed, then he is no longer considered to be a CBJ in the eyes of the KCBS.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
Divemaster

Without the Verification System, we have no way of knowing if they are current members. That's the problem.

My feeling is that if we get rid of the system, the KCBS is just hiding their heads in the sand rather than trying to make it better.