Harrisonville, Missouri Needs Teams! (Aug 13-14)

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got a call this morning from one of the organizers of this contest stating they have only 17 teams signed up. Last year, they had quite a few more. It was a pretty decent contest so I'm not sure why the drop off in teams. They could use another 15 teams or so. Give 'em a shout if you can make it. Contact: Gary Mallory/ Pam Shipley, 816-380-8160/816-380-8376. Fax: 816-380-8156. garym@casscounty.com

It's a good contest; I hope more teams come to support them.

I hope they can pull it off.

Just curious if its contest saturation, $$ or burnout as to why the teams are not signing
up? Here in PNWBA land we have had 2 contests with $10,000 in prize money each and have been unable to muster 25 teams, and a first year qualifier this weekend that can't even draw 16 teams! The organizers were made aware that the dates conflicted with other established events, but were set on the dates. It would be a shame if they decided to pull the plug next year.

If ever any traveling teams are looking for green pastures take a look at the Pacific Northwest. 6 more qualifying events before the cutoff date.

I'm not sure. Could be burn out. Could be saturation but there really isn't anything else going on in the KC area next weekend. There's a comp in Springfield, MO I believe and also in Pacific, MO. Could also be teams are starting to save their money for the American Royal too.

A woman was handing out flyers at Olathe yesterday and said they are up to 23 teams registered and a few more verbal commitments. I think a couple of the regular Harrisonville teams are going to MI next week.

There's only four KC teams going to Michigan. I spoke with the gal that called me Friday morning and suggested they get someone out to Olathe and KCIR to hand out flyers. I also suggested they raise their prize money and give at LEAST half of what they bring in on entry fees back to the cooks.

Half is a very conservative figure, Steph. I don't feel like organizations should be making money off what teams pay to enter the contests. Yes, it's much more work to have other things going on - I realize that because Stan and I do here - but there is where you make the money to go to charity or your organization.

P.S. Who all is going to Michigan from KC besides Rod? Just curious. I haven't heard any talk about it.

Counting us and TheSlabs.com, I'm told this morning, they have 24 teams and based on comments, she expects to be right around 30 teams, not too far off the 35 they had last year.

Back