ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Atlanta Magazine's Georgia BBQ Review, including top 5

Pretty cool article in this month's Atlanta Magazine. The writer visited 58 BBQ restaurants in Georgia and reviewed them all, and then ranked the top 5. You can't read the entire article online without paying 99 cents, but here is the online overview:
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/july2...eview/bbq.aspx

There is also a very cool google map that highlights all 58 restaurants, and also includes the top 5:
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/july2...bqroadmap.aspx

And the top 5:
  1. Hickory Pig: 3605 Thompson Bridge Rd., Gainesville, GA 770-503-5235
  2. Sams BBQ1: 4944 Lower Roswell Rd., Marietta, GA 770-977-3005
  3. Swallow at the Hollow: 1072 Green Street, Roswell, GA 678-352-1975
  4. P'cheen (Monday nights only): 701-5 Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 404-529-8800
  5. Blind Pig BBQ: 873 Barnetts Bridge Rd., Jackson, GA 770-504-0250
Only place I've been to is Sams, and than was back when it was Sam and Dave's (Dave left and has his own joint now). Sam compete's, and his BBQ is usually very good.

Pretty decent article, if you live in the area or plan on visiting it may be worth paying the 99 cents (or buying the magazine). The overview link above has info on buying the digital download. The reviewer was pretty harsh if the meat wasn't properly smoked (the dreaded grey meat), and seemed to do a good job on the review.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks!!!!
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Thanks Saiko, I have been collecting info on good joints that I can find on a road trip.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Wife and I drove down to Jackson (really just out side of Stark) to eat at the Blind Pig last Saturday. It was pretty good, though I think the ribs were a bit underdone. The stew was fabulous. Our plan is to work our way through the 58 places reviewed in the article as opportunity permits.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
joeysmac
On the road to being a farker

I can't believe Hudson's Hickory House in Douglasville didn't make the 58. Maybe it's because I grew up in D'ville, but Hudson's has a special place in my stomach and heart.

Unread 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Like any such compiliation, there were as many good places not reviewed as the ones they visited. Good to see any BBQ articles in the press though, regardless.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
qnbiker
is one Smokin' Farker

#2 & #3 are less than 5 miles from my house. We go to BBQ1 for takeout and catering - they don't have much seating. GREAT macaroni and cheese. Swallow at the Hollow is a great place for BBQ and live entertainment. Some pretty famous people play there.

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wait........there's good BBQ in Georgia?

Just kiddin.

I rarely, if ever, travel. I've flown (roundtrip) a total of 3 times in my life. Once for my brother's wedding, and twice for my wife. Once to go and see her when she lived in NM (when we were dating) and once on our honeymoon.

Other than that......I've been stuck here in IN (not necessarily known for our great BBQ joints).

BUT.......If ever I plan to travel to GA, I'm lookin you up, Saiko.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I read this article yesterday. Glad you posted it for all to see

Boat

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

If this is supposed to be the best 5 BBQ restaurants in "Georgia" the author needs a geography lesson. Georgia is much larger that the area represented by his 58 visits and their are some excellent BBQ places in areas like Columbus, Valdosta, Savannah, Macon and on and on. Atlantans sometimes tend to think the State ends outside Metro Atlanta.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

We went Swallow at the Hollow once. ONCE. Didnt like it at all.

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

No Fat Matt's

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
qnbiker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
If this is supposed to be the best 5 BBQ restaurants in "Georgia" the author needs a geography lesson. Georgia is much larger that the area represented by his 58 visits and their are some excellent BBQ places in areas like Columbus, Valdosta, Savannah, Macon and on and on. Atlantans sometimes tend to think the State ends outside Metro Atlanta.
No argument here. I'm a Georgia native and believe me there are lots of good places all over Georgia. Two of the best in Atlanta didn't make the top 5 list.

Unread 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
This IS Atlanta magazine, so I'm pretty sure his main focus was the Atlanta area, although he did include a few places outside the city. I should probably have renamed the thread "best of the Atlanta area BBQ", although in the article he kind of makes it sound like he's looking at all of Georgia.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

We got some good places down in Macon and surrounding areas.. Fresh Air out of Jackson..Finchers in Macon(claim to fame bbq went on space shuttle) and a few more.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote