oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pulled Pork: Splitting the cook?

I'm having a party on Saturday and planned on cooking up 3 pork butts and have them ready around 3pm. Seeing as it's my birthday Friday, I'm not sure it's a great idea to try and start the cook late friday night ;). I thought maybe I'd start smoking them on Friday morning, till they hit 150 or so, then cool them off and then finish them the next morning.

Anyways, Looking for thoughts and any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Another idea was to start the pork butts early friday evening, like 7pm. Should be done Saturday morning around 7am. Just not sure what's the best way to keep everything hot and fresh till 3pm.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
Another idea was to start the pork butts early friday evening, like 7pm. Should be done Saturday morning around 7am. Just not sure what's the best way to keep everything hot and fresh till 3pm.
Wrap 'em in foil and put them in a cooler. Maybe put some towels around them as well. They should stay warm. I cooked about 100 lbs of CT butts for a wedding reception, took 'em off around 8:00 PM, wrapped and put them in the cooler. When I went to pull 'em at around 7:AM the next morning, they were still too hot to handle.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
Wrap 'em in foil and put them in a cooler. Maybe put some towels around them as well. They should stay warm. I cooked about 100 lbs of CT butts for a wedding reception, took 'em off around 8:00 PM, wrapped and put them in the cooler. When I went to pull 'em at around 7:AM the next morning, they were still too hot to handle.
I agree with Big Jim. I've never stopped a cook 1/2 way through (that may work??) but I have to think that the second 1/2 will take a LONG time to get back to 150 and start the cooking process again.

Coolering with double wrapped foil and towels will hold for a LONG time. Try and use a cooler that's JUST big enough to fit the butts. It will work better that way.

GOOD LUCK, and HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys! Pull them, wrap them and put in cooler at 195?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Whaddup, Kylersk? What time should I show up? Wish I had some better input for you; the 3PM serving time is the killer. Are you using the UDS or Egg? This may be a great time take a stab at Hot n' Fast Butts, which can be cooler-ready in around 6 hours of smoke-time. Smoke at around 325 deg until it "weeps" (around 165 deg int. temp), foil wrap it, and keep going until around 205 int. temp. Cooler for a couple hours, and pull away. You may have less bark, but you can add more rub to account for it if you'd like.

Working backwards from a 3PM serve, subtract 1 hour for serving prep, another 2 hours for "cooler-ing", around 6 hours for smoke, and 1 more hour for UDS prep/warmup. That puts you at starting the UDS around 5AM and getting the butts on around 6AM. You might not get quite the fat rendering that you would from a true low-n-slow smoke, but for me sleeping during a smoke isn't really quality sleep anyway, and the splitting idea doesn't sound real great, either.

Good post on what to do (or not do) here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=hot+fast+butt

Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

McGurk, I'm using the UDS. I've got a temp controller on that, so it makes sleeping alot easier. ;)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
DennD
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
Thanks guys! Pull them, wrap them and put in cooler at 195?
Yep.... what Wampus and Big Jim said should work out fine for you. No point in splitting your cook when there's a possibility of bringing the times as close together as your 2nd option.

GrillPro Cabinet Smoker(mods)
22" CKG(cheap kettle grill)
Uniflame 16" Kettle Grill
Chargriller ProDeluxe(mods)
Brinkman gasser w/smoker box
Wood Burning Firepit/Smoker
DennD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like you have good advice from Big Jim and Wampus. Happy early birthday.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Splitting the cook is a bad idea. Sounds like you've got it worked out though, good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
Yup... they will stay hot for many hours if wrapped well in foil, towels... etc. Often I will boil some water and preheat the cooler so I'm not putting it in a cold cooler
Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

^^^^^ Ditto
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner