The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
DennD
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st Fatty, Pulled Beef

Smoked my 1st fatty today. 1 lb JD Sage sausage, stuffed with i/2 a onion chopped, 2 jalapenos chopped, chopped up bacon ends and pieces, and gorgonzola cheese. Wrapped it in plastic wrap snd refrigerated overnite.

The cooker ran between 230 and 275° today. Once the first side of the Fatty got heated thoroughly, when I went to turn it over, the top just burst open. The whole thing ended up laying flat out on the grill... pretty much like it was when I was putting all the stuffing on the sausage. I slid a piece of aluminum foil under it and managed to roll it back up. Then I poked a bunch of holes all the way through it with a skewer so it would drain the grease and get smoke

Turned out pretty good, considering(it's over 1/3 gone already, guess who ate it?). I was wondering if anyone has ever put one on right away, wrapped in foil until cooked some on all sides? Appears like it might work if lots of holes were poked in it.

Here's the pic of some country style ribs and a 4 lb chuck roast, just before I pulled em off the grill:

I made pulled beef from the chuck roast.

GrillPro Cabinet Smoker(mods)
22" CKG(cheap kettle grill)
Uniflame 16" Kettle Grill
Chargriller ProDeluxe(mods)
Brinkman gasser w/smoker box
Wood Burning Firepit/Smoker
DennD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

nice rescue, everything looks delicious!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Looks really good to me
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Looks good here. The slit down the middle looks like its yelling for some country gravy!
Big_AL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
DennD
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_AL View Post
Looks good here. The slit down the middle looks like its yelling for some country gravy!
I was thinking about those sausage patties as a a good candidate for some good sausage gravy before I even read your post. Can't stop thinking about it now. Guess what we're having for breakfast tomorrow!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice start, still looks good! Next time try working that seam together a little tighter, just do not over work the meat.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
DennD
Knows what a fatty is.

I usually fix several days worth of various meats when smoking foods, so only just got to having a meal of the pulled beef this evening. I also fixed a slab of ribs and an eye of round(no pron of those.... sorry) on Thursday. Anyway.... both the missus and I agree that we like pulled chuckie better than pulled pork.... although pulled pork with a mustardy sauce also kicks butt! Found a nice spicy and vinegary sauce sold at GFS, named Mississippi BBQ sauce(made in Ohio), that's great on pulled beef as well as the sliced eye of round.