BBQ Brethren "Po-Boy" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Po-Boy!"[/size]
shrimp-po-boy-1.jpg

Photo from Ezra Pound Cake.

...as chosen by Shiz-Nit, the winner of the Pulled Throwdown!

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/30 through Sunday 8/8.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 8/8.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 8/9 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 8/13. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the With a Surpise Inside Throwdown until Sunday night 8/1 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Mystery Meat Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

As far as I know, that's the only requirement, but I'll let Shiz-Nit explain his vision of the Po-Boy for us to follow.:cool:

Yes.... Goood morning Guerry! You are up early and sober. I'm up late and P!issed:becky::becky::becky:

I did a wiki on this. Just a damn sammich! I can do a sammich! We get some nice Baguettes here. I just have to make some awesome fillings and and take some good shots. The kids will love this!

Cheers!

Bill

Yes.... Goood morning Guerry! You are up early and sober. I'm up late and P!issed:becky::becky::becky:

I did a wiki on this. Just a damn sammich! I can do a sammich! We get some nice Baguettes here. I just have to make some awesome fillings and and take some good shots. The kids will love this!

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember Bill, deep fried is good for you!:becky:

Wow. Two throwdown posts and I haven't been a smart a$$ yet.

Just remember Bill, deep fried is good for you!:becky:

Wow. Two throwdown posts and I haven't been a smart a$$ yet.

Won't take you too much longer mate!

I think I can do this. We've got some nice seafood here to deep fry. I can knock up some nice sides and we've got some awesome bread here. Might take a week to nail this, but I'll have a crack!

Cheers!

Bill

PoBoyArticle.jpg

According to New Orleans' historians, the Po' Boy sandwich was invented by Clovis and Benjamin Martin, brothers and former streetcar drivers, in 1929 at their Martin Brothers Coffee Stand and Restaurant on St. Claude Avenue in the French Market.

It is said that this sandwich extravaganza began during a local transit worker's strike. The streetcar motormen and conductors strike begin on July 1,1929. Transit strikes throughout the nation provoked emotional displays of public support, and this 1929 strike ranks among the nation' most violent. Eighteen hundred trolley men struck in New Orleans as a result of a union contract dispute. During the strike/riot, two strikers were killed, five trolleys were burned to the trucks, a car barn was dynamited, trackage was destroyed, and switches were cemented.

The two brothers, Clovis and Benjamin Martin, took pity on those "poor boys" and began offering sandwiches made from leftovers to any workers who came to their restaurant's back door at the end of the day. For five cents, a striker could buy a sandwich filled with gravy and trimmings (end pieces from beef roasts) or gravy and sliced potatoes.

Asside from a hoagie type bun, what makes up a po-boy. Most I've had have been cold cut stacker types.

As stated above by landarc that would be a grinder.
There are several other real good views of a Po’ Boy by thirdeye, degurre and a real cool vid from SmokeInDaEye.
Basically it is a Creole or New Orleans style sub that packs big Cajon flavors. Usually they are made from local sea foods that are from whatever region they maybe in.

Oh boy Amber is gonna Chit she has been jonesing for a true po-boy(roast beef) and now she has a true reason to make one. Iam gonna make a spam po-boy

My Entry is a classic New Orleans style Po-Boy. This recipe comes from Chef Jim (not me) in the Alibi Lounge in NO, just off Bourbon Street. It was a year after Katrina, late at night, with almost nothing open! Not at all typical for a Sat. night. It’s called a BBQ Shrimp Po-Boy.

For those of you that don’t know, BBQ Shrimp in NO is not the same as we might do it, but they named it, and I’m not going to argue.

The full story, and the recipe is in my book.

First the ingredients, I forgot to get out the Crystal Hot Sauce so its not in the pic. I added Lobster Tails to this one just to add a slightly different texture. Jim allows me to do this.

[FONT=&quot]
Po-Ingredients.jpg
[/FONT]

Next I got the fire going on my new Performer, and grilled the tails and shrimp. Just S & P for seasoning cause the sauce is really the key.

Po-Fire.jpg

Po-Grill.jpg

And then I started the sauce:
French Bread
Good Olive Oil
L&P
Lemon Juice
Fresh Garlic
Crushed Red Pepper
Butter
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Basil
Simmer for 15 minutes and add the Lob and shrimp, Let that simmer just long enough to warm shrimp & lob.

Po-Sauce.jpg

Simmering and almost ready. :clap2::clap2: Sharon, BHSLH, can hardly wait.:-D
Po-InSauce.jpg

Assemble the Sammi with lettuce and tomato, and be sure to add sauce to the bread. I like lots. Chris, please use this photo.

Po-Finished.jpg

Be sure to save some sauce for dippin berad.
Also, this recipe works just as well on a salad, or over pasta, angel hair for me.

It was “Just Plain Yummy”, Wish you could have tasted it. But if you make one you will know what I mean.

Jim you basically have my vote since nawlins bbq shrimp is one of my all time favorite dishes to make and better yet.. TO EAT :thumb:

Back