MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Default brisket temp when done

my brisket started to get tough i took it out at 145 it was super juice just alittle tuff the probe went it in most places like butter did i over cook it at that temp or did i take it out way to early. I DID NOT TAKE THEM OUT WHEN THIS PIC WAS TAKEN i spread them out and let them get some bark. the date on the meat was 10 days old could that have any thing to do with it? i had 4 full briskets on . i stack them and kept them away from the heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0715100604.jpg (74.3 KB, 927 views)
mjancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

This is gonna be fun.
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
This is gonna be fun.
thanks but that does not help lol.....

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, at the risk of starting a brisket war, you should get the brisket up to at least 205 degrees to be ready. For steak, 145 is good. Not so much for BBQ brisket.

Now, the fact is, brisket is ready when it's ready. However, when I cook it, it's ready to rest in foil for 2 hours once it reaches 205 degrees in the thickest section.

I am a proud brisket temperature taker. It works well for me.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Well, at the risk of starting a brisket war, you should get the brisket up to at least 205 degrees to be ready. Now, the fact is brisket is ready when it's ready. However, when I cook it, it's ready to rest in foil for 2 hours once it reaches 205 degrees in the thickest section.
mine started to dry out and get to dry out and get a little tuff in the thinest part. when internal hit 145 or so

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Boshizzle

Let it continue to cook until it reaches about 160 F. Then, put it in a foil wrapped pan and let it cook until it reaches about 205 F. Then, remove it from the cooker and let it rest in a warming oven or your kitchen oven for about 2 hours. There should be a lot of aus ju in the pan. Use it as a sauce after you de-fat it.

And, don't stack them. Put them on the cooker fat side down.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

What temp are you cooking at? I usually take mine to about 190 and pull it and let it rest for a while.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Willie's BBQ
Banned

without being sick and perverted, i will refrain from being with my 17 year old neice and relating that to cooking brisket. when internal temp reaches approx. 190, start checking for resistance with probe, probe should insert with little to no resistance. take out, wrap, and hold for atleast an hour
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Check out what JD McGee did here. Ignore the spices, although I'm sure JD's are really tasty. The ones you are using will be fine, I'm sure.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=89170

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well, at the risk of starting a brisket war, you should get the brisket up to at least 205 degrees to be ready. For steak, 145 is good. Not so much for BBQ brisket.

Now, the fact is, brisket is ready when it's ready. However, when I cook it, it's ready to rest in foil for 2 hours once it reaches 205 degrees in the thickest section.

I am a proud brisket temperature taker. It works well for me.

Please, Unless you want to start ruining about 42% of your briskets... do not follow this advice. If you do... I hope you have deep pockets or you have low standards.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Please, Unless you want to start ruining about 42% of your briskets... do not follow this advice. If you do... I hope you have deep pockets or you have low standards.
I could have mentioned my cousin on a stump. Will that raise my standards?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

You took your briskets out way too early. No brisket could be done at 145, and if your probe went in like butter, you must have been in the fat line between the flat and the brisket. Stacking the briskets is also not a good idea. Always make sure there is space all the way around each brisket so the heat and smoke can penetrate evenly. As far as the date on the brisket, that shouldn't have anything to do with yours being tough. If anything, it would only make it more tender, right up to the time it goes bad. And that you would smell right away when you unwrapped it. I wet age mine for 40 days in the cryovac at 36 degrees.

Every brisket is different, so there is no exact temperature that says it's done. Almost every pork butt will slice well at 185 and pull well at 195, but for brisket you have to rely more on feel. In any case, every brisket I've cooked (at least a hundred) was done at some temperature between 195 and 205 in the middle of the flat. I cook at 250. Guys using the high heat method might have to get the temp a little higher and guys cooking at lower temperature might get it done at a lower temperature, but NEVER below 185. We're not talking about a steak here, we're talking about brisket. It takes time and temperature to get that thing tender.

The main thing to remember about BBQ, but especially brisket, is "It's done when it's done."
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I could have mentioned my cousin on a stump. Wil that raise my standards?

Dudem how could I address 47% of the BBQing public and not mention incest... or... ya, know... cousincest.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
Boshizzle

I know, bro. I'm just pulling your chain.

But, the method I listed works well for people who don't cook a bazzilion briskets every week.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
your probe went in like butter....in the fat...space... so the heat ... can penetrate... far ...right up ...it goes...And... you would smell right away when you got it ....wet ... butt ....pull ...on feel...some ...Guys using ...might get it done ...lower NEVER ....talking about...the time ....to get that thing tender.

The main thing to remember about BBQ, but especially brisket, is "It's done when it's done."

Now the only thing is.... well this Never done under 185 thing.... come with me on August 15th when I throw on about 50 packers and we will see how mistaken you can be just on SELECT cuts. The rate of doneness can increase below 185 the better the grade. Out fifty... I usually have 10 done at under 170... that's right... which means the stall is not neccessarily that 170 number.