MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
tennispro
Knows what a fatty is.

Default pulled pork for 50

I am cooking for my first large group this weekend. I was told it was going to be 50 people with most of them being a highschool football team.

I know people say you should plan 1 pound for every person. Should I plan for more seeing the group of people that will be eating??

Thanks for your help

Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've always allocated 1/4 pound per person. Remember, your pork cooked weight will be 1/2 or so of the original.

Being a high school football team you might want to plan closer to 1lb each but remember, only about 1/4 will fit on a bun. So that's 4 sandwiches per person.

Are you having sides too?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Are you going to have other food with the pulled pork? Normally, I figure 1/2 lb per person unless it is mixed men, women, children than 6 oz. per person. Depending what you're eating with the pulled pork, maybe closer to 3/4 lb per person.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I cooked last year for a party for the senior players of our high school football team. I cooked more thinking they would eat double and they actually about average of other events. I think 50-60lbs raw pork would do it but to be safe 75lbs should be plenty with leftovers.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I base my pork butt purchasing based on 1/2 lb per person...after smoking it will yield 1/4 - 1/3 lb per person depending on how fatty your butts are...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
tennispro
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for your help guys,
I will also be serving Pasta Salad, and Beans. I was told that the coach (brother inlaw) was going to take care of the chips and stuff like that.

I put an order in for a case of pork butts so I hope that will be enough

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
tennispro
Knows what a fatty is.

Well we are chugging away right now. I ended up going with on case of butts. It was 55 pounds.

They only thing I did not like is the butts were cut down into 3# chunks. I just hope that they don't cook to fast.

Here is how my day started.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
tennispro
Knows what a fatty is.

I spent half of last night pulling pork. It almost makes me not want to do it again.

I was not to happy with the butts before I started and I was even less happy when they were done. Because of the small size, they did not cook like I wanted. Half them were nice and the other half was tuff. I chopped the ones that were not as good. Taste was fine but just not my best.

I got a call this morning that the event was canceled because of storms in the area. So I had to hurry and pack all the meat into gallon bags and freeze. They is going to use it all later after a football game or practice.

But I do have about 10 pounds of pasta salad and all kinds of beans that I have to eat up now