ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default UDS with a tan lining...

OK Brothers and Sisters... I need your opinions...

1. If you were given a UDS and it had a tan lining in the drum that was still intact, what would you do (assume that giving it back is not an option). Also, assume that the person giving it to you did not build it (see below)

2. If that tan-lined UDS was built by someone who was selling UDS commercially, would you contact the builder and how would you handle that conversation?

I have reasons for asking. I recently won a UDS in a drawing and when I received it the drum had the tan lining in it.

**** In the Greater Chicago Area? Join us for the Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering - Jan. 24th, 2015

The Naked Fatty!

Equipment list temporarily removed
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
headrush
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

i'd burn, blast, or wirewheel the lining out. as for the commercial part of the above questions, i might run it by them.
headrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

is a burn out not an option?

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
SchauerPower
Found some matches.

My homemade drum originally had a tan lining. It was a food grade drum that contained lecithin (used in producing ice cream cones). I burned it and wire wheeled it...took awhile, but it all came out.
SchauerPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I built mine from a food grade drum that had a tan lining in it.
After a 2 to 3 hour burning, and 2 to 3 hours with a wire wheel, i was able to get it all off. If i had to do it all over, i would of left it. Something that hard and resistant to bonfire temps in a food grade drum should be fine for smoke temps imho.

Paul

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrush View Post
i'd burn, blast, or wirewheel the lining out. as for the commercial part of the above questions, i might run it by them.

I agree with headrush. May be the mfg is either unaware of the hazards of the lining or does not care. I have seen some barrel pits around here with the lining in them at a flea market.When i asked, the guy told me it kept the pit from rusting. I just walked away.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm with paul. If the lining withstood extreme temps that the drum would never reproduce in cooking, you would be ok. Mine had the red liners, and still stay intact.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

I remember someone posting in detail (science stuff thats over my head) that the liner will withstand the low temps the UDS runs at without causing a problem. So maybe we go through all the trouble of taking that nice liner out for nothing.

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

I'd burn it out only because I don't know what the tan coating is. It may be a food grade barrel, but the lining may be something like the bad compounds used to line cans and make hard plastic bottles that, when heated, may give off even more bad stuff. The barrels I buy to build with are unlined so that makes it easy to use and you an see what you're getting.

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would contact the builder and just ask what the tan lining is and why it is still inside the barrel. If he is selling these commercial he has had to get approval from somewhere or have documentation that states this lining is safe at the temps you will be using it at. No insurance company would want to take on the liability of that disaster waiting to happen.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious View Post
I remember someone posting in detail (science stuff thats over my head) that the liner will withstand the low temps the UDS runs at without causing a problem. So maybe we go through all the trouble of taking that nice liner out for nothing.
i havent seen the post that you are referencing, but i do know that compounds can off gas some nasty crap long before any physical changes are noticable. i keep thinking back to that thread about the guy that damn near died from a little wisp of smoke from burnt brake cleaner.

Unread 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm going to the Penalty box after my post I was wondering about Tan Lines on a UDS

I would gently approach the mfg and express my concerns. You could include that (assuming) you do not have any hard science to support your claim do they have anything to ally your concerns.

Remember MM was selling what looked like plain old galvanized trash can smokers when he was on Craig Ferguson's show
UDS, Weber Kettle, #5 Kamado up for refurbishing,
[COLOR=blue]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen
[/COLOR][COLOR=black]IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS CBJ & CTC
avatar and logo by smilinsantasbbq.com

[/COLOR]
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Thanks, guys... Burning it out is an option, but the guy did a nice job painting the outside and burning out the inside would most likely destroy his work. How about sand blasting? I've read that this would work and seems like a lot less effort than using a wire wheel on a drill.

As far as the commercial aspect, I seriously doubt hat he has gone for any kind of approval. He build them in his garage or workshop and then sells them. I think I should ask him about the lining and suggest that he investigate it further. I'd hate to see some one get sick from food cooked in one of these drums.

**** In the Greater Chicago Area? Join us for the Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering - Jan. 24th, 2015

The Naked Fatty!

Equipment list temporarily removed
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Commercial sandblasting will get it out. I have access to both an industrial furnace and sandblasting. I've built 12 UDS's so far and I've cooked and blasted each of them.
My biggest concern is if the lid is left off for an amount of time while you are cooking...whether intentional or not, what temp will the bottom of the drum reach and will it start "melting" the lining? That is one risk I would not take.

BTW...do you have any pron of your newest family member Ron? Inquiring minds want to see this baby
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Thanks, guys... Burning it out is an option, but the guy did a nice job painting the outside and burning out the inside would most likely destroy his work. How about sand blasting? I've read that this would work and seems like a lot less effort than using a wire wheel on a drill.

As far as the commercial aspect, I seriously doubt hat he has gone for any kind of approval. He build them in his garage or workshop and then sells them. I think I should ask him about the lining and suggest that he investigate it further. I'd hate to see some one get sick from food cooked in one of these drums.

Sand blasting should do the job, just more expensive than a burn out, but you won't ruin the outside paint job.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote