喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #16
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Is there time to actually brine chicken between meat check in and meat turn in, allowing for cooking of course, in a competition?

Just asking.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 08:53 AM   #17
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Is there time to actually brine chicken between meat check in and meat turn in, allowing for cooking of course, in a competition?
Chicken and ribs, plenty of time. Brisket and butts not as much. Most events that I've read the schedules on allow for inspection to be done as soon as you're parked in your spot. Usually 24hrs or even a bit more before first turn in.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 09:19 AM   #18
parrothead

Typically not enough time for a full brine, but at least 12 hours (not 18-24 like I do). But there is still those birds with that "solution"

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 10:42 AM   #19
BrooklynQ
Banned

Be careful when submitting chicken with the skin still on for competetion. A hot piece of bird closed in a styrofoam box will "steam cook" until the box is opened. The steaming effect will turn the chicken skin into rubber. Remember that from the time you submit your entry until judging could be five minutes or as long as a half an hour or more. Just depends on how well the judging process is going.

Next practice run through, put some chicken in a box and let it sit for awhile. Then try it.

You can submit skinless chicken or try "pulled chicken." There is one team that submitts pulled chicken all the time and WINS. Sorry I can't remember their name.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #20
chad

Quote:
Chicken includes Cornish hen. Kosher Chicken is legal. It is acceptable to have manufacturer enhanced or injected products as shown on label EXCLUDING teriyaki, lemon pepper, and butter injected.
That's talking about pre-seasoned birds. You can use any freaking sauce or seasoning you want!!

MANUFACTURER ENHANCED is the key phrase.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #21
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I recommend you start here:
Posted by Jumpin' Jim on January 31, 2001 at 21:04:41:

For contests I only cook thighs and I cook 16 of them. I marinade them in Paul Newman's Own (Olive Oil and Vinegar) 4-8 at a time in a heavy zip lock bag depending on the size of the thighs. I start them marinating at approx. 4 pm on Friday.

I have used various rubs but what I really like these days is Head Country (Ponca City, OK) tweaked for heat which I get by adding a small amount of Cayenne Pepper. The thighs come out of the marinade at 7:30 sat morning and I lightly and evenly dust them with the rub.

I put them on the smoker and cook them to 180 degrees internal temp in exactly three hours. If I am using the Ole Hickory I use pecan and if I am cooking on Traeger or a Fast Eddy Smokebox I use hickory pellets.

At the three hour mark I test each thigh with a toothpick for tenderness. I put my best 8 in one half size alum pan from Sams Club with one bottle of Head Country Original Sauce. I put the second best 8 in the other pan. I loosely tent the pans with foil and let them woller in the sauce for approx. one hour.

Half hour before turn-in I take 8-10 best thighs and put them on Weber Kettle or Cajun Grill indirect with a reasonably cool fire so I won't burn the sauce. I taste one of the worst thighs and make an assessment of how it tastes and if I think that taste can do well. If I need to make adjustments, especially with salt, I do it at this time and then set the seasoning with a light brushing of sauce.

For turn-in I pick my best six thighs and put them in the box. No special arrangement because the thighs usually take up most of the room. Just try to have a decent looking box.

This process doesn't always work but it has been very good to me.

If any of you want more specifics please email me directly. I assume most of you are very good cooks and will be able to take this brief process and make it work for you. By the way Paul Newman's is a very good marinade for other meats, especially lamb when combined with Head Country Rub and Head Country Sauce

You can change rub and sauce but the process is a very good one.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #22
jmcgrath
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
Quote:
Soy/teriyaki marinades don't go over well for competition
If I remember correctly, and I may very well be wrong and get corrected by Jim, but I think that you are not allowed to use teriyaki in a KCBS event. Or maybe it's the pre inhanced stuff...............
Chicken includes Cornish hen. Kosher Chicken is legal. It is acceptable to have manufacturer enhanced or injected products as shown on label EXCLUDING teriyaki, lemon pepper, and butter injected.
That rule is talking about preseasoned meats. Anything goes after meat inspection. A lot of meat is coming from packing houses injected with saline solution. That is legal. There is a fine distinction, but brining your chicken before meat inspection is not legal. After meat inspection, you may brine or inject with whatever you want.

If you are using injected meat or are planning to brine after meat inspection, it may be a good idea to cut back on the amount of salt in your rub.

Jim
jmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #23
jmcgrath
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98

Just asking.
Different sanctioning organizations have different rules. KCBS allows meat inspection the day before the contest. Meat for a Saturday contest could be inspected at 12:00 a.m. on Friday, not that it is likely you will find a meat inspector up and about at that time :). Even a 12:00 p.m. inspection on Friday will give you 21 or 22 hours alone with your meat :D.

Jim
jmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote