The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Frank Mahovlich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Seeking advice for weekend cook

Would kindly appreciate any thoughts on this...

Need to cook a brisket packer (about 15 lbs or so, low & slow) and 10 - 12 racks of spare ribs (3-2-1 method) in my WSM 22 to be served for dinner Friday night between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. Here's what I am thinking: smoke the brisket to about 160 IT, pull it, foil it, and put it back on the smoker. Do you think it would work if I pulled the brisket off the smoker and finished it at 225 in an oven for the last couple of hours while I loaded the ribs onto the cooker? Thinking I could then pull the brisket from the oven hopefully in a couple hours when it reaches probe tender, let it rest, foil it back up, and keep it warm in a faux cambria until the ribs are done and it's time to serve.
I'd really appreciate any ideas or feedback on this.

Thanks
FM
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

is that the only smoker you have available to you? if so.. then yes that will work with the brisket... can you fit 10 racks of ribs on a WSM?
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=DownHomeQue;2579420]is that the only smoker you have available to you? if so.. then yes that will work with the brisket... can you fit 10 racks of ribs on a WSM?[/QUOTE]

You can with a couple of rib racks!
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Wrapping is the same as putting into an oven.. at that point.. heat is heat.. while i wouldn't reccomend wrapping the brisket at all..

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

[quote=PatAttack;2579422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
is that the only smoker you have available to you? if so.. then yes that will work with the brisket... can you fit 10 racks of ribs on a WSM?[/QUOTE]

You can with a couple of rib racks!

There you go! .. get you some Rib Racks FTW!

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Frank Mahovlich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Jeez, you guys are quick! Thanks for the great advice. Will definitely be utilizing rib racks. Any thoughts on using water in the water pan? Or any thoughts on whether or not I need to flip the ribs from top rack to bottom rack to account for any significant temp difference between racks?

Thanks again!
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

It wouldn't hurt to swap the ribs between the racks at about the half way point.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cook everything at 300 Deg F. Start the brisket at 8 am wrap it at 12 it will probe tender before 2 pm open the foil and let it vent for 1 hr. then into a 170 deg oven. Put the ribs on they will finish in 3-3.5 hrs no foil needed to cook 'em, Foil and hold in the oven till dinner