MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
jaejw1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default BRISKET,, why is it considered to be holygrail??

why is the brisket looked upon as being difficult?,, there seems to be so many different ways to cook it with great results,,,

im no expert and being new to this forum I dont have nearly the experience as most,, but my first brisket was done on the fourth and I did have guests over...
the only practice I did was with the smoker itself.. learning the temps and how to regulate...

I just feel that the brisket is fairly simple and that it cooks itself... im having a more difficult time perfecting ribs and chicken

I cant wait to do brisket again.

I will admit though , I did research/read online aswell as ask lots of questions at my favorite bbq joint in the city of compton...

just curious
jaejw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think brisket is just more of an "involved" cook, than say butts or a chuck roll. The involvement starts with the selection, then moves through the prep, seasonings, cook, rest, and serving. The more consistantly you repeat a proven technique, the more predictable the end result will be. It's a plus your first one turned out so good.

I agree with you about chicken, it's harder than most folks think. I always thought I cooked above average chicken..... until I judged my first competition. I now put a lot more work into my chicken.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

The biggest challenge I have had with cooking briskets is knowing when to pull it from the smoker. There is a small window that occurs between an undercooked, dry, tough brisket and an overcooked, dry brisket.
There is no set temperature that will let you know when to pull it, as all briskets are different. It just takes practice, and trust me I'm still learning.

Prep and serving are a bit more involved than most cuts of meat also. Learning how the grain runs different depending on which side the brisket came from, learning how the point and flat run together. It's not rocket science, it's just harder than most cuts of meat in my opinion. And this opinion is from a backyard cook, I don't compete.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
jaejw1

well I enjoyed the late hours of the smoke. and the rest time was used to get other stuff done...

if I can I would like to put the brisket in the fridge before cutting,, and just have all uniformed slices placed in a pan and ready for reheating....

but I have to truly say that it was worth every minute of my time ,,,, I will try to take more pics next time also.. I only took about 3 from my first...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

From what I've read, lots of people have had success with their first brisket and then found it difficult to repeat.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post
From what I've read, lots of people have had success with their first brisket and then found it difficult to repeat.
That's because every brisket is different. I have cooked two briskets on the same grate, same seasoning, same temp, same size and same trim. At 8 hours, one was 190, the other was 165. It's done when it's done and you have to learn what done feels like.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
That's because every brisket is different. I have cooked two briskets on the same grate, same seasoning, same temp, same size and same trim. At 8 hours, one was 190, the other was 165. It's done when it's done and you have to learn what done feels like.
Which was sort of my point. The OP wonders what the fuss is about since his first one turned out great. It's the second, third...fifteenth...twenty-sixth that become the issue!!
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
jestridge

I always thought it was easy . I think it one of those Texas myths they didn't want anyone else trying them they need something they good at
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

It's all about the internal temp of the meat.
Like said above, "It's done when it's done!"

Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
deepsouth

i've only done brisket like three times, but they all turned out delicous and tender with nice bark and smoke rings, etc..... the process was a bit different to get there, but i didn't think it got complicated. i dunno.....

Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

It's not rocket science but it is really easy to over cook or under cook. It's simply not a set and forget like other meat cuts.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
cycle1667
Found some matches.

High fat content = good flavor.
High fat content = good insulation
Low and slow is the way to go.
cycle1667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
jaejw1

ohwell... labor day will be the real test....

Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle1667 View Post
High fat content = good flavor.
High fat content = good insulation
Low and slow is the way to go.

You are so wrong. Now try again to snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
MattB
Got Wood.

I still am learning the ways of the Brisket. I consider it the holy grail because I've had so few good briskets. It's a meat that you can't cook by the numbers, as others have said. You have to have a feel for it and that takes time to learn.