MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
suprfast
Take a breath!

Default Electric Smoker questions again

Long story short, moved to an apt and can only use electric for smoking. Had two UDS, I know they are the best and realize I am downgrading.

Now that is out of the way with. I had a thread a month back or so but I wanted some fresh answers to some different smokers

Found this one. Anyone heard about it?
http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-It-Mode...pr_product_top

Then the masterbuilt
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20...9096689&sr=8-1

And lastly this one, but i doubt I would splurge on the money for something that still only hits 250°F
http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Tex-Sta...ef=pd_sbs_ol_2

I saw a few guys talking highly of the last, never of the first and mixed reviews on the middle. I am leaning more towards the middle because it has the space I need for my day to day while hitting the higher temps(275° vs 250° for the other two). Would this still be the best choice or would the stainless looking model be a better investment? Are their electric smokers that produce higher temps than 275° for the hot and fast smokers out there?
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
bandityo
On the road to being a farker

I have the smokin tex in my team of smokers. Its absolutely fantastic for pork butts..uses little wood and its set and forget...however, for ribs, I didnt like it to much.

The top one is the same as the smokin tex, just a cheaper brand. Im not sure of the Masterbuilt.

For the price ranges you are looking in, I would consider a small pellet pooper like small traeger, or louisianna grill pellet smoker.

david

Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

I own the Masterbuilt. It's a great little smoker and produces some great meat. I also had a customer service when it was out of warranty and it was no questions asked, they took care of it. I don't feel you can go wrong with the Masterbuilt Digital Smokehouse.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a Hi Mountain Jerky & Prime Rib Oven which is really a Cookshack Smokette 008. It looks like the first and last ones in the link. I think it does pretty good pork butts, jerky and a kick ass rib roast, but have not been impressed with my ribs cooked on it.
Personally I think its too small, but for an apartment dweller that needs a good little smoker that doesn't put out a bunch of smoke to rile the neighbors or property manager, any of them would probably be fine.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

I also have the Masterbuilt and love it. I can load it up in the morning, set the temp, go to work, and when I get home have some nice supper. I've done ribs, butts, chickens, and hams on it

Its a little small do be doing more than a family cook on it. It is what it is in that respect.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

go to www.cabelas.com and type in "masterbuilt". They often have various models on sale. I like the stainless myself.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a Cookshack Smokette that works great but is limited on capacity. Guy at work has a Masterbuilt and loves it. Guy has a Bradley and not happy with it.

No Propane?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

If I was getting one it would be the 40" Masterbuilt with the window. The window is too cool in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the
Smokin-It Model #2

works great and love the set and forget it, I did a 9 lb butt Saturday night and Sunday morning it was at 199. put it in a cooler for 2 hrs and had lunch at 12
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

The Smokin Tex is a knockoff of Cookshack and it's made in China.

The current version of the Cookshacks will hit 300 (better element).

The only variance between what you're looking at it quality, cheaper means thinner metal and probably won't hold heat as well or the heating element won't hold stable temps.

Really depends on how much you want to use it, but the CS will last a long time. I run the CS forum, but don't work for them. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help, not try to steer you one way or the other, just want you to be fully informed. FYI, the CS has a 100% money back guarantee.

Russ
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
suprfast
Take a breath!

I go to bed and wake up to all these wonderful replies. I have a three year program at school so I just need something to get me through the few years. I must admit that it's been almost a month since I have smoked something, and I need a fix bad.

I am leaning towards a purchase on amazon because I have a couple hundred dollars in amazon gift cards. My goal is just to find the right one for my needs, which isn't that high. I smoke mainly for myself and my daughter(gotta love the 9yr old that loves good food).

The Masterbuilt might be the smoker I go with but I'll give it a few more days worth of searching before I finalize.

Thanks again for everything guys.
kris

Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have the Masterbuilt and really like it for set and forget smoking. I don't use it as often as I did when we lived in a condo, but you can get 6 big buttss into and cook them low and slow all night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butts 001.jpg (71.8 KB, 88 views)
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
suprfast
Take a breath!

AQUA, that is EXACTLY what i wanted to see. Looks like my beef short ribs will fit perfect in there.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
suprfast
Take a breath!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone and I finally decided to get the Masterbuilt. Great part was my wife had it ready for me at home after she picked me up for class. Small trade off since she just bought a kindle to go along with her nook.

Now to business. Do I water pan or not? Anything I should know?
kris