The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

This is soooooo great!!!!! 2 and 3RD.. in that company under crap conditions!! holy sheet... congratulations again!!

Proud Poobah Mod. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #17
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoker
Good Job Brothers.Remember it only takes one judge to change the out come of a contest.Were they KCBS judges? We had a contest here and the judges were instucted that mourning and had never judged before.
From what I understand, there was at least one KCBS sanctioned judge per group of six. The others were instructed that morning on the point system. Everything starts as a 5, unless disqualified because of not enough pieces to judge, or sauce pooled in the container, or garnish hanging outside of the box. The table captain opens the box, does a quick around the table view to the judges and you are scored for presentation.
It needs to be very eye appealing as appearance is .5714 of your total points.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #18
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
If only you 2 had done the ribs and chicken. You would have taken first all around.
When we put the team together, I was asked to do the brisket. I did a pork butt because I already had the smoker going. John also did a pork butt. The plan was to take his to about 180* and slice it, and take mine to pulled temp. and then decide what to turn in. Getting a butt to a perfect slicing temp and being pulled tender, but not falling apart, was an outstanding accomplishment. Both butts turned out for what we were looking for, so we went with it. John put one hell of a presentation together. You HAVE to remember this was the team's first contest, and presentation is a big part of the score. There was a learning curve on the chicken and ribs turn ins, and John got more comfortable with each box.
KCBS "standard" chicken is probably the hardest catagory to please the judges in. This will come with time.
Then he farking nailed the pork and brisket, I mean I was to the point of tears proud. I'm very happy with the team results!!!

Added: John dropped off the scoring sheets, I added the judges scores above the pictures. There was one perfect score given in the brisket catagory (9-9-9), and that was us! The team that beat us out of first place in the pork received 3 perfect scores in the catagory.

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

Unread 07-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
John got more comfortable with each box.
John did an awesome job! The quality of the meats is so close, presentation can really make a difference and Johns efforts really paid off.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 06:51 AM   #20
MikeG
Full Fledged Farker

Great job guys!!!!
Congradulations
MikeG
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 07:31 AM   #21
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Super Job guys. Besides the weather, you faced so pretty stiff competion.
Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #22
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

As our first KCBS competition it was good to have Kick and KC there to help and add their knowledge that they have recieved off this board. Hence why I registered to see what I could pick up. The presentation portion was definitly new to us but alot of teams offered their advice to us on friday evening as we went around and talked to different veterans of the craft.
The weather was definitly a nemesis that we overcame.
Thanks to all for your support.
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 11:08 AM   #23
Bigmista

I am really proud of you guys! Awesome Job! I can't wait until the bash so I can get some of that championship BBQ!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #24
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Congratulations BellyBros!!

It's amazing what you guys accomplished on the First Time Out!!!

Congrats again.

Unread 07-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #25
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

At this point you need to learn to compete, your cooking skills are there or you would not have done as well as you did. Timing and being able to get 4 meats done takes practice, you are on the way!!
Let me know if I can help.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #26
jt
Babbling Farker

Kick & KC, thanks for letting me come by & bug you! You guys rock! Awesome job, especially with the weather - Ralph's shoes weren't dry until Sunday night! All the tips we learn here is what produces consistent Q and you guys showed that over the weekend.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #27
Solidkick

Pictures are now posted in the photos section. I will continue to add captions and clean up duplicates over the next couple of days. Enjoy!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Unread 07-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #28
markbet
Full Fledged Farker

congratulations guys! You inspire us new Quers, gives us a goal to work towards

- Traeger Lil Tex Grill

-Used to have a Bandera stick burner. (been put out to pasture)
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2004, 01:28 PM   #29
emo
Found some matches.

Congratulations! Thx for the photos. Love the flame shorts!! emo
emo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #30
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

What kind of chicken is that? Looks like boobs or thighs.

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote