The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
HUCKS
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default brisket

ok to get a debate going again.brisket fat up or down and why.i do cook mine with fat up.my only problem is in theory i do not inject.so there for all my rub get washed off with the fat rendering though.is this a problem or more so in my mind only.

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
MechMedic130
Found some matches.

Up keeps the meat moister as the fat drips back down through the meat.
MechMedic130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I can only speak from my experience and from all that I've learned from everyone here. I cook mine fat side down and I do not inject. I've never had my rub wash off and I cook high heat. 325-350. You can get many different answers on this but even if you chose to do fat side up I dont think it would affect your rub on the bottom. I'd try fat side down first and see how you like that. There is no wrong answer here you just have to practice practice practice. Others will chime in on this to help soon.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

I think it depends on the direction of heat and the type of cooker you have. In my Eggs I cook fat down the entire cook, and in my BDS's I cook the majority of the time fat down. The fat acts as a heat buffer of sorts. One of my buddies cooks on an offset that draws the heat above the cooking grate, and he cooks most of the time with the fat up.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMedic130 View Post
Up keeps the meat moister as the fat drips back down through the meat.
Old wives tail. Fat does not soak into the meat. When fat begins rendering its being pushed OUT the pores of the meat which disproves that theory.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
mberry47
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Old wives tail. Fat does not soak into the meat. When fat begins rendering its being pushed OUT the pores of the meat which disproves that theory.
completely agree. not only that, but unless you're a high heat guy, the fat mostly doesn't render at all. mine is fat side down, mostly because the fire is below and secondly because the rub looks better that way.
mberry47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

fat side down.

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Kinda a personal preference. Sometimes i like the top side and other times i don't mind the bottom side
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Personal preference.............All the way. You'll get 10 for and 10 against, it's smoking meat, not baking a cake (where everything has to be exact).....enjoy it and learn what makes you and your crew the happiest and that will become the only way. Me, Fat up on everything! just sayin'
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote