The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

There is nothing special to know really. Cook it till it's done...no matter what the pit temp happens to be.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Funk?... I think you offended him justalittlebit
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
You knew this thread would draw my ass in guns blarin' LOL. Like I have settled on long ago. In the right hands, a brisket can be delicious either way... personally, I think hot and fast is just damn good because well... there is less time to screw it up and dry it out.
think about a few things.

Know I realize the draw on "low and slow" and the feeling (ego) that if you can do it lower and slower then you are a more a man or something. Heck I was raised up in a world voted by the Texas State Legislature as the BBQ center of Texas... they did briskets (14 -16 lbs at a pop) between 6 AM and 10 Damn 30.... Every day for like 80 years.

But even after all this when I started experimenting long ago (late 80s early 90s) I was bit by the loow and slow bug too. And even in the infancy of Internet BBQ lessonry I still was scared of the myth that if you cook the briskets too high (like over 250) then all hell would break loose and the collagen would be forever trapped in your chewey briskets. Heck, 7 years ago that why we all got those remote temp probes for our smokers so we could stay awake all night and monitor for the specter of the flair up.

Low and slow is, and I have explained this many times to various newcomers in the restaurant world that were cooking as low as 215, that when you are in that zone, one little screw up and you are out of the cooking range and into the jerky and dried brisket and over smoking range.

Well I am done here.

Leave my belly out of this.

I think it all comes down having the proper equipment (in my case, it's a Backwood's Chubby) and knowing your smoker.

This enables me to pop my brisket in, and know exactly when I have to add more fuel and take my one temp reading (do em both @ 8.5 hours in).

Can't prove it, but in addition to the fact that "if you're lookin, you ain't cookin"... I think that lookin at it disrupts the process and is a major factor in ruining a cook.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
DIRTYBIRDZ
Knows what a fatty is.

I've always had nothing but success with hot and fast, nothing but failure with low and slow brisket! Everybody's method is different with BBQ!

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

The only difference between high heat vs low and slow is the window of error, HH has a small window from overcooking your brisket, low & slow has a greater window for overcooking your brisket. Regardless which method i use, I always cook the brisket to 160 temp, then i never check the temp again just cook the brisket to tender, when you insert a probe it should go in like butta no resistance at all. Good luck to all you pharkers.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Entertaining video's for sure. Is this cat still around?
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #22
FLAQUE
On the road to being a farker

I cooked a packer brisket 2 weeks ago on my WSM. I put it on at 11:00 am, then went out to run errands. I used the same amount of charcoal and set the vents as I usually do to cook at 250. No water in the pan. I got back at 5:00 pm and the temp was at 317!! I battled to get it down but it never got under 305. So I let it ride between 310-325. A few hours later I had a nice wobbly brisket and by far the best brisket I've ever cooked. I don't know how long it took to get up to 300+, but It was there for a while. I can't wait to cook another brisket hot and fast.