The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Harpoon Question

Harpoon is coming up and I was reviewing the grilling categories for Sunday and for chicken wings, sausage, and shrimp it says "Details to be given at a later date"...any idea when that later date is? Hopefully soon because the competition is only a couple weeks away.

I am specifically interested in details regarding sausage. Is this just a standard sausage in a casing, or a fatty etc? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

might be NEBS grilling rules. look on the harpoon website and see if NEBS is mentioned. just a guess on my part though.
good luck at harpoon!
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
pigmaker23
is one Smokin' Farker

the grilling contest rules should be in your cooks package, they are in line with NEBS Grilling Guidelines, Chefs Choise must include Harpoon Beer as one of the ingrediants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Breathe BBQ View Post
Harpoon is coming up and I was reviewing the grilling categories for Sunday and for chicken wings, sausage, and shrimp it says "Details to be given at a later date"...any idea when that later date is? Hopefully soon because the competition is only a couple weeks away.

I am specifically interested in details regarding sausage. Is this just a standard sausage in a casing, or a fatty etc? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Sweet Breathe BBQ

This is for the NEBS event on Sunday and reading the cooks packet it states the categories, turn-in times, and garnish. Below that there is a Clarification of food category. It states Sausage: Details to be given at a later date.

I have cooked sausage fatty categories but not just a sausage category. Because it doesn't state that suffing is allowed, I am guessing a fatty with rub and sauce would be acceptable but a stuffed fatty would not? Doesn't seem like it would be too exciting or challenging to throw a Johnsonville brat on the grill and turn that in. Perhaps I am being a little slow, I just find the instructions a bit vague.

Unread 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Mike emailed all the teams the other day with each teams site number. Attached to that email he sent all the grilling rules and categories for Sunday's grilling. If you deleted it, let me know, I'll email it to you.
What site number are you guys in?

-Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Sweet Breathe BBQ

We are a non-vending team so we didn't need to do the site lottery/selection. Perhaps that's why we didn't receive the email. I'll shoot you a pm with my email and if you wouldn't mind sending the rilling rules that would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I've emailed Mike as well. Thanks!

Unread 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Breathe BBQ View Post
This is for the NEBS event on Sunday and reading the cooks packet it states the categories, turn-in times, and garnish. Below that there is a Clarification of food category. It states Sausage: Details to be given at a later date.

I have cooked sausage fatty categories but not just a sausage category. Because it doesn't state that suffing is allowed, I am guessing a fatty with rub and sauce would be acceptable but a stuffed fatty would not? Doesn't seem like it would be too exciting or challenging to throw a Johnsonville brat on the grill and turn that in. Perhaps I am being a little slow, I just find the instructions a bit vague.
I believe its anything goes. Stuff it wrap it whatever
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
BogsBBQ

According to the contest reps, all grilling categories at Harpoon will follow NEBS Open Garnish rules...

"OPEN GARNISH - Anything goes. Stuffing, wrapping, skewers, and decorations of any kind, edible or not, are allowed. Any size chunks or ingredients can be used. Cooks should remember the judges will be instructed to evaluate how well the cook has represented the contest category. Excessive garnish or additional ingredients, that cover or hide the appearance and/or taste of the defined category, may result in a lower score."
BogsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Sweet Breathe BBQ

hmmm....not sure what I think about all open garnish...now we have to not only figure out what to cook but how to garnish

Unread 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

You could just concentrate on cooking really good food and garnishing very simply. The open garnish thing just opens up the door for anyone to do what they want. If you are worried about cooking food(sausage) and garnish then take the one that shouldn't count out of the equation and make the food standout.

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Sweet Breathe BBQ

Thanks for the sound advice. Wasn't sure if that'd put us at a big disadvantage if we didn't have elaborate boxes. I think we had some simple yet creative ideas that we used at Lake Placid that we can stick to, and focus on the food.