MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
So Cal EGGhead
Found some matches.

Default Help with brisket

I have a 9 pound brisket on my egg right now. I put it on last night at about 11pm, it is now 8:45 am. It about a 9 pounder.

I am searching online right now and am finding many different internal temps that are recommended for removal. What is the best internal temp for brisket. And, if I remove now and friends don't come over until 4pm, how doI keep it until then?

Also, doing 3 racks of baby backs today too. I have never marinated them before cooking, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal EGGhead View Post
I have a 9 pound brisket on my egg right now. I put it on last night at about 11pm, it is now 8:45 am. It about a 9 pounder.

I am searching online right now and am finding many different internal temps that are recommended for removal. What is the best internal temp for brisket. And, if I remove now and friends don't come over until 4pm, how doI keep it until then?

Also, doing 3 racks of baby backs today too. I have never marinated them before cooking, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
190-200 internal...wrap in foil put in a cooler lined with a towel and yos it will still be hot at 4:00

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
MilitantSquatter

take the brisket off when it feels right.. that is.. can be probed with little resistance... that could be 180-200 degrees.

if it's done early, that's a good thing.. wrap it up, stick it in a cooler and let it rest until you need to slice.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Like they said above. Probing for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat is the most reliable way to test for doneness.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
So Cal EGGhead
Found some matches.

Default Brisket results

Well, when i woke up in the morning I posted here because I was reading some things on another forum and had mixed reviews. There were actually recipes that called for removal at 140 degrees. Since it had smoked all night and was at 175 degrees already, I panicked. That is why I posted here. I knew you guys would have the answers.

Thank you for the responses. The piece of meat I purchased was amazing. It was a much better quality than the failed attempts I had before.

I took the meat off at about 1 pm and made some baby backs while it rested in the cooler lined with a towel. What a great trick! The brisket turned out better than expected and I earned some very respectable comments from die hard grill masters.

Thanks again for the help. I am proud to be a part of this forum.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would show you the results. Baby steps!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by militantsquatter View Post
take the brisket off when it feels right.. That is.. Can be probed with little resistance... That could be 180-200 degrees.

If it's done early, that's a good thing.. Wrap it up, stick it in a cooler and let it rest until you need to slice.
bingo!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
dannypat21
is One Chatty Farker

Would love to see some pics of that brisket. Did you get it from Corner Butcher Shop?
dannypat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
So Cal EGGhead
Found some matches.

The restaraunt depot actually. A great resource for anyone looking for restaraunt quality meat at wholesale pricing. You must have a business and resale license to join.

It was great to put a name to your posts Danny. Did you try the comp rub yet?