Hot and fast Angus brisky pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a 12lb. Angus brisky at RD yesterday and did my usual Popdaddy tri-level high heat method adapted for the WSM. Went for an hour at 225 then kept temps between 300 and 340 till probe tender. Came out tasty. Burnt ends just went in and I'll update when they are done.

RO lump and some wild cherry from my father-in-law's property in Kentucky.
IMG_0014.jpg

On at 7:30 this morning.
IMG_0015.jpg

First peek, internal temp at 160.
IMG_0027.jpg

Sliced flat. Total time in smoker was 7 hours.
IMG_0038.jpg

Cubed point going back in for burnt ends. Well, kind of burnt ends. I'll update with new pic when they are done.
IMG_0043.jpg

That's it!

Last edited:
Nice. I've been doing well with the above 300 brisket cooks.

I have to try the high and fast brisket soon. Man that you did looks killer good!!

Saiko, What is the high heat mod for the WSM? I will be getting ready to try one on the Pro Q very soon.

Saiko, What is the high heat mod for the WSM? I will be getting ready to try one on the Pro Q very soon.

Do you mean a mod to make the WSM capable of high heat? If you have the charcoal ring stacked to the top, you really don't need any mod if it's warm outside. For most of the cook I only had one vent open and easily maintained 310-330.
I have had instances in colder weather where I have to prop open the access door a bit to maintain higher temps, but typically the WSM can do it pretty easily

As promised, the burnt ends. I'll also throw in my time and temp log after the pic for kicks and giggles. And Paulmark, I use sand in the waterpan.
Thanks guys!

IMG_0049.jpg

Time(AM) / Smoker Temp / Meat Temp

07:25 / 150 / 46
07:40 / 229 / 49
08:00 / 234 / 65
08:45 / 239 / 102
09:00 / 310 / 112
10:00 / 322 / 139
11:00 / 344 / 161
12:00 / 305 / 176
01:00 / 325 / 184
02:00 / 329 / 195
02:20 / 305 / 199 - Pulled from smoker

90 minute rest in cooler, then sliced flat and cubed point. Cubed point went back in smoker for 2 more hours at around 300 degrees.

Thanks Saiko, I might have to try sand. Had problems yesterday with heat going very high and had to use water to calm it down. Guess I don't have to change much. And it's usually very warm here at this time of the year.

Picked up a 12lb. Angus brisky at RD yesterday and did my usual Popdaddy tri-level high heat method adapted for the WSM. Went for an hour at 225 then kept temps between 300 and 340 till probe tender. Came out tastey. Burnt ends just went in and I'll update when they are done.

RO lump and some wild cherry from my father-in-law's property in Kentucky.
IMG_0014.jpg

On at 7:30 this morning.
IMG_0015.jpg

First peek, internal temp at 160.
IMG_0027.jpg

Sliced flat. Total time in smoker was 7 hours.
IMG_0038.jpg

Cubed point going back in for burnt ends. Well, kind of burnt ends. I'll update with new pic when they are done.
IMG_0043.jpg

That's it!

Thanks for posting this. I have had planned all week an around the country weekend smoke out.

Tri tip Friday night, West of the Rockies, Check. Butt Last night Deep South ,Check. Sunday Brisket Texas. But I ran out of motivation to continue on with the Brisket.

After reading and pronning over your post I am once more motivated. You got me at Hot and fast.:-D

I'll get up in the morning and get to triple threating, podaddy style.

What's the "tri-level heat method"?

Tri-level originated with Barbefunkoramaque (aka Popdaddy, aka Funkmeister, aka Donnie). His youtube video on the method can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVK0-aR2sA

The "Tri-level" is three levels of rub, followed by a high heat (270-325) smoke. The three rubs are:
  1. Lawry's seasoned salt, applied lightly the night before.
  2. A low salt rub, applied lightly the night before. A lot of people use Popdaddy's Butt Glitter rub for this (recipe below).
  3. A basic kosher salt / coarse grind pepper rub that also includes a low salt lemon pepper, which can be hard to find. I use Lawry's lemon pepper, it's the only lemon pepper I found that didn't have salt listed as the first ingredient. This is applied very heavily before going in the smoker. This is called the "Dalmation" rub.
Donnie is pretty insistent that this ratio only works with high heat, due to the high salt content. I've never tried it low-n-slow, so I can't compare.

The salt and pepper (dalmation) rub I use is:
1/4 cup Diamond Kosher salt, 1/4 cup coarse grind pepper, 2 TBSP Lawry's Lemon Pepper, 2 TBSP granulated garlic and 1/2 tsp cayenne.

Popdaddy's Butt Glitter rub is:
8 parts Paprika, 3 parts salt and sugar, 2 parts cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion and celery seed, 1 part chili powder, oregano and pepper, and 1/2 parts mustard powder and cayenne pepper.

You can do a search of the site for "tri-level" and "dalmation" and also see plenty of other posts also if you want to read more on this.

Nice Saiko....Very Nice.....

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks great from here too Saiko!! Mmmmmm...... :thumb::-D

Nice job... looks awesome. I've also had great luck with high heat brisket. Sure beats an all nighter.

Back