The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Bayou Boogie BBQ
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re-Heating Vac Pac Ribs

I'm thinking about overnighting some ribs to some friends for the 4th weekend. I'm gonna vacuum seal them with my Vac-Mesh Pro 2300 machine and Vac-Mesh bags. I'll freeze them before I send them. My question is what the best way to re-heat them? Boil for so many minutes? Microwave? Thanks.
Bayou Boogie BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 3

Are the ribs going to be sealed in the vacu-suck bags directly from cooking, ie the temp is above 140*F and then frozen quickly? are the ribs going to be kept below 40*F throughout shipping? if the answer is no, you may loose some friends.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

What about his original question? I am interested as well. How to reheat.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

My suggestion:
1) Call manufacturer and make sure that the bags you have are safe to reheat in (there is a trend going around right now to make omlettes in regular zip lock bags that is NOT SAFE, don't do it).
2) The really hard part. Cook some ribs for dinner and a couple extra racks. Seal and force yourself to try reheating them a few different ways and see which works best. Someone on the site will probably give you some great advice on what to do, but don't take their word for it! You have to sacrifice yourself to eat ribs over and over (oh the humanity!) to make sure your friends will get a good product. Dry ice may help in shipping, have you looked into how much THATS going to cost. It may be cheaper to fly you to them to cook some ribs.
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For large onsite partys I precook the ribs. I smoke the spares for 4 1/2 hours then let them cool down, foil, and refrigerate. The next day onsite at the party I reheat them in the foil on the bandera for an hour then give them a few minutes on the grill over direct heat before slicing. They turn out great everytime. So my suggestion is to freeze the vac packs, pack in dry ice before shipping then send written instructions along with the ribs on how to reheat.

When we go to visit my aunt in Arkansas I always take precooked ribs and brisket with us because all she has is a gasser. I use the same technique but just keep them in a cooler with plenty of ice for the 12 hour drive.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
frognot
Babbling Farker

i've reheated in boiling water for about 10-15" and it works okay but prefer to sauce them, foil and heat in oven for 20-30" at around 225.

Using the Food Saver, also always double seam my bags to prevent them from accidentally opening while boiling.

Have never shipped them but would definitely use dry ice if i did.

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can reheat from frozen in an oven in foil or not. I like them out of the foil. It is really simple. Make sure you ship in a cooler./

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Bayou Boogie BBQ
Got Wood.

I got the shipping part down. You take a styrofoam ice chest with a few frozen ice packs cover with newspaper, then tape the lid down. I've gotten sausage and other meats delivered to me this way and they were still hard frozen when i got em. I think i'll recommend the oven method for reheating.
Bayou Boogie BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I've done many ribs that I put in vac packs and the technique I use is to boil in the bag for 15 min. or so, then take them out of the bag, sauce the ribs and lay them on a broiler pan and watch carefully, when the sauce starts to boil pull them off and serve. With the kids gone doing one rack for the wife and me is a waste of time so I will do 4 or 5 racks, eat one and then vac pack and freeze the rest. That way when I get home and want ribs it is only a few minutes before I get smoked ribs that are almost as good as right off the smoker. For brisket and pork I skip the broiler part.

Unread 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

I have been vacu sucking my ribs for awhile now and have found that boiling for 30 minutes right out of the freezer for 30 minutes and then sauce and set in the broiler for just a few minutes or on a grill gave me excellent results.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I send my son ribs all the time, vacuumed and frozen and put in a stryofoam cooler with dry ice. He thaws them out in the frig and then takes them out of the vacuum bags and warms them up on the grill, makes him thinks he cooked them!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote