The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
That is unless you think dumped out of a can is good
That depends on how many teeth you have left.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

I've quit offering the option of canned beens, carton potato salad, etc. If the client is going with someone else to save a buck that's their choice. I want repeat business from clients who will pay a fair price for top quality products. Better meat, fresh sides, nicer serving ware. I have to give a lot of credit to my wife who demands that we put our best on the table every time. I think the outlay of more labor and slightly higher food cost now will pay big dividends long term.
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
JD McGee

I offer the same size sammy, slaw, beans, rootbeer, and a cookie for 10.99...looks good from here!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
Boshizzle

Quote:
That is unless you think dumped out of a can is good
Some people do. When my son graduated from college we had a lot of people over for a BBQ. We served baked beans as one of the sides. There was a person raving about the beans. They had to have the recipe. Since there were so many people and the only ones cooking and serving were my wife and I, we just heated four large cans of Ukrop (grocery store) brand baked beans. I told the lady that my baked bean recipe was a secret but I would share it wither her.

1.) Drive to the nearest Ukrops.
2.) Buy 4 cans of Ukrops baked beans.
3.) At home, open the cans and pour them in a pot.
4.) Heat them until they are hot, stirring occasionally.
5.) Serve.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Jerk Pit Master
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I don't say regular or good sides to potential clients I advertise them a s standard sides or upgrade to our signature homemade sides. I was only say good to you all meaning the difference between dumped out of a can and quality good home cooked sides. That is unless you think dumped out of a can is good

Still implies the cheaper ones are not "homemade". I offer numerous sides, some require a $1 upgrade fee either because they cost more or require more work to prepare.

You meal pricing is cheap, sandwich price seems expensive unless it is heavyon the meat.

Congrats on the free press. How did you get it - press release?
Jerk Pit Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Yes my standard sides are not homemade. I have had several say it's about the BBQ and we just want something simple to go along with it so that is why I offered a less expensive option on my menu. I have had others who love the fact they can get homemade sides so I thought this way I could please both.

The local paper heard a lot of buzz about us and decided to to an article about our business opening up in thier weekender paper that goes out to all county and city residents (county population 30,000 not sure about circulation) so they came and interviewed us. We had no idea that it would be a front page story and covered 80% of the front page. A good friend said well it must have been a slow news week, I thought gee whiz wonder what he really thinks of my BBQ I just said yea must have been.
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Utahslo-smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I would dump the idea of cheep sides all together. Now don't get me wrong I do have some that will cost me more so there is a $1 mark up for them like corn on the cob or baked potato. I assume that each side will cost me .25- .50 cents pp so I can do 3 for $1.50. not what I'm charging just cost. So given that I charge $1 per side. The menu is set up that way one meat and sides ect. Having said that so you know where I'm coming from, think about your brand. Your a ligit business and want to be around for a ling time. It might take a little longer to build and be known for quality but its a really good thing to be known for. I have turned down a job because they wanted me to get pre-made potato salad and pork-n-beans. Not because they love the taste of it, or headed over seas for the next year and cant get it ,but cause they just didn't want to spend the money. I keep prices in line so I can do office and contract work, but because we are known to do fresh and quality we also do medical centers picnics for special diet groups. In the end branding pays off.
Utahslo-smoke is offline   Reply With Quote