THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Being it was fathers day I decided, it was sort of mandatory that I smoke up something. I know a pork butt cooking away all day makes me happy. So that is just what I did. But, I also wanted to do something different while I was at it. I had been doing some sauce research earlier in the week and I came across one that I had never heard of before, a sambayon dessert sauce. For those of you who haven't heard of it before it is a sauce that is roughly 1 part egg yolk, 1 part sugar, and 2 parts wine. You combine it all up and whisk it vigorously on a simmering double boiler type application for about 10 minutes until it becomes almost a cross between whip cream and pudding. So how does a dessert sauce come into play with barbecued pork? Well, I have this strange tendency to try to figure out different things to put BBQ Sauce in that will work. So, of course, I had to give it a try with the sambayon sauce. But first, lets get that Butt cooking.
I started with a 9lb butt.
0620101029.jpg

After removing the fat cap, I gave it a BBQ Sauce slather, others use mustard, ehh.
0620101103.jpg

Then gave it a quick dusting with a rub.
0620101107.jpg

Then onto the UDS it went.
0620101240.jpg

It cooked at 250 for about 5 hours, traying it for the last hour. This is what it looked like before I wrapped it up in towels to sit for a couple of hours.
0620101801.jpg

Now, while the butt was having a nice rest, it was time to make up the BBQ sauce infused Sambayon sauce. I started with 4 egg yolks, 4 tbs white sugar, 2 tbs BBQ Sauce, 3 tbs apple juice, 3 tbs water, and then mixed them all up in a steel bowl. From there it was onto a small sauce pot with some simmering water for the double boiler effect. I unfortunately didn't get any pics during this process but, it's mainly because I had to spend a solid 10+ min whisking the dickens out of the sauce. In the end, I was extremely pleased w/ the results, it was cream yet light, very sweet but, had the nice BBQ Sauce notes I had hoped would come through.
Then it was time to pull the pork, actually I more chunked it than pulled it and sliced up some of it as well.
0620101810.jpg

From there all that was left was to plate it up along with some potatoes and fresh fruit.
0620101822.jpg

0620101823a.jpg

All and all, the results were great! The sauce was much lighter than the usual and it provided a nice creamy texture to compliment the pork. I also found it was great to dip the fruit into as well. Thanks for looking. :thumb:

Tom it looks great! I like the sound of the sauce too... Hope you had a nice Father's Day! :-D

Smoke Jumper - Yep, I used apple wood. As far as bottling it up, Maybe for a friend, otherwise try to stay away from eggs in commercial sauces.

Ribbin Randy - I did have it sitting out at room temp for about an hour and half and I think the fat cap may have been 2lbs so, when cooking, I'm sure it was more like 7lbs.

Back