The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
grillandchill
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

husks on in the microwave. much better than any other method out there. period.
grillandchill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Grill 'em. I soak the ears in water for 30 minutes to an hour. Then I'll husk them to the last last layer and pull whatever silk I can from the top. The ears are then grilled over direct heat between 2-4 minutes per side turning as the husk get charred. Total time between 12 and 15 minutes. The sugars caramelize and I've had people eat them au naturel (w/o butter or seasoning).
rogwadd is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

I appreciate the input guys but I really am stuck with boiling or steaming. I can't cook enough corn for 50 people on my grill.

So as far as boiling tips we have recommendations for 14 minutes in boiling water, bringing corn and cold water to a boil, and less time if the corn's fresh.

I'll have to take more notice of what the silk looks like next time I get some corn and see how it affects cooking time. Just knowing that corn gets mushy, not tough, when overcooked will help.

Unread 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
rogwadd

Let's assume you're getting fresh corn. I don't think I'd boil for more than 4 or 5 minutes.

How about the oven? I'm sure you can get enough corn for 50 on 2 racks. From Alton Brown.
Trim off any loose hanging husk, but leave it fully wrapped. Preheat the oven to 350ºF, place the corn in the oven directly on the center rack, and roast for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the ear.
The husks will brown; but watch them, you don't want them to burn.
Remove from the oven, dehusk and desilk.
rogwadd is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Jebber
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwadd View Post
Let's assume you're getting fresh corn. I don't think I'd boil for more than 4 or 5 minutes.
This is good advice - I grew up on Corn Country and if you boil for anything longer than 5 minutes you'r heating up parts of the ear that you don't eat.

Think about it, you only need to cook the outer shell

I buy some extra sweet corn from a farm north of here and they say to only boil for 3 minutes - and they're right!
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Grilled Corn On The Cob

- Peel husk back, disregard a few outer hush and remove the silks and soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- While soaking get some soft butter and mix in fresh herbs, we like basil, thyme, chives, fresh roasted garlic and yes a splash of lime (the lime is the bomb!!)… Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over coals or a gas grill for around 20 minutes or so (you will know when it is done)
- When done remove from grill and spread fresh herb butter all over and enjoy.

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
pomah25
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
We steam ours and before people wig out about the trash cans! We have upgraded to aluminum 56 quart tamale steamer that does corn and anything veggie! Fill 3/4 with corn that is 40/50 ears water in bottom and about 45 min in husk... whala

Love the double trashcan idea!!!!!

I usually just grill, mine just wrap in foil with some Cajun seasoning and butter and toss on a grill. I know you wanted boiling tips, but thats all i got :)
pomah25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #23
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Icorn for 50 people
Corn for 50 people is a lot.

I'd say your method of cooking will largely be determined by what sized pots and pans you have.

Me...I'd have to cook em in my turkey frying pot cause that's the biggest thing I got (hey...that rhymes )

Unread 06-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
prudog

Wow, some great advice in this thread.

The oven works exactly the same as the grill when left in the husk. You can even stack them, but rotate and cook longer. I would budget an hour at 350 if stacked 2-deep (YES, that 45 minute thread could be spot on... about 20-30 when I grill direct and rotate as others suggest). You can turn it off and they stay hot like potatoes when stacked... I bet a cooler would work if you want to hold and need to free up the oven the hour before serving.

The husk works as a steamer, especially when corn is fresh and not overly mature. If locally grown, I might chop the critters off the top by slicing the end, but way too early in the year for that unless you live in Florida or Texas? You have to burn the shucks to dry it bad... cook until shucks start looking dry.

Just get it hot in the husk and very forgiving... Get some gloves unless you have asbestos fingers like me and shuck it hot... leave on husks for handle (kids love it) and have a butter station for the gluttons. Silks will come off with shucks when left whole and fully cooked.

Good luck!

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
joayers65
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I love COTC!
This is my procedure.
Corn starts losing it's sweetness as soon as it comes off the stalk.
Ideally, you would take the corn from the stock and cook it right away. Realistically, you buy corn that was picked LOCALLY the day you will eat it. Buy it as early in the day as possible (when the truck arrives at the stand) and chill it immediately. That will minimize the loss of sweetness. This tip will separate you from your amatuer neighbors. Mice from men kind of thing.
I like to pull the husks back and remove the silk, then put the husks back as nicely as possible. Soak the cobs in cold water for 1 hour. Place on a medium grill for 20 minutes, Slather it in melted butter and some salt.
OMG
joayers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
jjdealer
Knows what a fatty is.

google, corn on the cob for a crowd. the first post that came up for me seems to be exactly what your looking for.

Unread 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
This is good advice - I grew up on Corn Country and if you boil for anything longer than 5 minutes you'r heating up parts of the ear that you don't eat.

Think about it, you only need to cook the outer shell

I buy some extra sweet corn from a farm north of here and they say to only boil for 3 minutes - and they're right!
3 minutes is great for corn picked that day. If you're buying 5/dollar at the supermarket and the silks are black and look semi-rotten, it's 10-14 minutes boiling. We do 10 minutes at our house, no problem.

It's all about the sugars turning to starches. Fresh is way better.

To the OP, two propane turkey burners and two 16" stock pots should easily cook corn for 50 people. Heat one pot from cold to boiling and time it before the event so you know how long it will take to boil the water. At the event, get the guests to help shuck corn (people love to pitch in and help) while you're bringing the water up to temp, then dump in your corn 10-14 minutes before dinner, then serve steaming hot at dinner. Lots of butter & salt containers, a few with peppers like adobo or chipotle in sprinklers too ..

Fresh corn 3-5 minutes (new-looking yellow silk) boiling
Old corn 10-14 minutes (silk turned black) boiling

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #28
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

When you are getting your corn, make sure the kernels are not dented. Dented kernels means the corn is old and no amount of cooking will make it tender. Being in PA, you probably don't have a local source ready. That means it is coming from FL, TX, or CA. Starting with the best product is the only way to get the results you want.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
Jebber
Found some matches.

I don't even like eating it the day after it's picked. Someone mentioned that you have to cook older corn longer - I would choose not to eat it at that point.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahutchens View Post
I must be getting pretty fresh corn.
Add to pot when roiling boil. 7minutes and pull em out
Same here, only after I add the corn, I let it come back to a boil and then 7 minutes.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote