Corn on the cob - help!

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This is somewaht embarassing but I have to admit, cotc is my nemesis. I absolutely suck at it. I've heard all types of advice from boiling for one minute, let sit in the water for ten to boiling for fifteen minutes or more. Sometimes it's ok, lots of times it's not.

I know this ought to be dead simple but for some reason I still struggle with it. Is there a fool proof method?

I leave mine in the husk and throw on the grill. The water in the silks and husk protect and steam the corn. Makes for super simple husk & silk removal too...they all practically fall of the cob.

I know we are talking about grills and smokers, but don't forget the microwave is a steam making machine. If you wrap your corn in a wet towel and nuke em for a few minutes, they'll steam up nicely (way too many varibables w/wattage and # of ears to know exactly how long to tell you to nuke em, but start out with a handfull of minutes and check for doneness).

If you are totally against using the microwave, then make/buy a steamer rather than boil them. Once again, steam them for 5-10 minutes.

We steam ours and before people wig out about the trash cans! We have upgraded to aluminum 56 quart tamale steamer that does corn and anything veggie! Fill 3/4 with corn that is 40/50 ears water in bottom and about 45 min in husk... whala

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMAGE_043.jpg

IMG_2533b.jpg

I forgot to mention that I need suggestions geared toward boiling or steaming. I have about 50 people I have to cook for on the 4th and grilling isn't really an option.

Wow Ash, 45 minutes?

When boiling, I put shucked ears into gently boiling water and leave them there for 14 minutes.

Still crisp, but cooked. I've been doing them that way for years, and never a problem.

That said, if I have the option, I'd rather grill them.

When boiling, I put shucked ears into gently boiling water and leave them there for 14 minutes.

Still crisp, but cooked. I've been doing them that way for years, and never a problem.

That said, if I have the option, I'd rather grill them.

Yup. What ^^^^^HE^^^^^ said.

I prefer to shuck them, rub them with butter, S & P and grill them indirect until they start to char. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............

I leave mine in the husks untouched and unsoaked. Put them over high indirect heat and turn a 3rd every 10 minutes. DONE. The husk will tell you alot. When the side is charred, turn, charred, turn, charred, turn, done.

The only prep that I do is cut off the stringys at the top.

I put sugar in the water too. My problem is getting it to reliably turn out tender.

Here's a question, does corn get mushy or tough when overcooked?

A lot depends on how fresh the corn is, since anyone who has eaten corn off the stalk knows it does not need to be cooked, the longer it is off the stalk, the longer you need to cook it. Overcooked, the kernels get mushy and squishy, really overcooked and they deflate and you get wrinkled skins. Yuck!

I prefer steaming, really fresh corn (silks still all yellow) 15 to 20 minutes in steam. Silks turning brown, 30 to 35 minutes. I do not bother with salt or sugar (I am steaming). I use my 6 gallon brew pot, put a rack in the bottom and fill 2 or 3 inches with water and get it started. Keep a kettle simmering for adding water when needed.

If you're boiling them, I'd recommend adding some JD to the water. It really brings out the sweetness in the corn and smells pretty good too! Not to mention a few pulls of that and you don't really care how the corn tastes.

I boil them, starting with cold water. Shuck the corn, put it in slightly salted water, and turn the heat on. The corn is done in 20 minutes, normally just after the water comes to a boil.

It's easy and foolproof.

If I want to get fancy, open the husks, add some butter and pepper flakes, close em back up and put on the grill. They come out really nice that way, but for volume I just use a big pot on the stove.

I vote Husks On x 1,000! La-Z-Corn! :thumb:

Husks on, turn them as each side starts to get brownish. Go all the way around, it is done. The husk adds a pleasant flavor to the corn.

Melt a couple-three sticks of butter in a shallow pan. Dredge corn in butter. Drip excess off. Salt. Eat. Get the next ear! :p

husks on in the microwave. much better than any other method out there. period.

Grill 'em. I soak the ears in water for 30 minutes to an hour. Then I'll husk them to the last last layer and pull whatever silk I can from the top. The ears are then grilled over direct heat between 2-4 minutes per side turning as the husk get charred. Total time between 12 and 15 minutes. The sugars caramelize and I've had people eat them au naturel (w/o butter or seasoning).

I appreciate the input guys but I really am stuck with boiling or steaming. I can't cook enough corn for 50 people on my grill.

So as far as boiling tips we have recommendations for 14 minutes in boiling water, bringing corn and cold water to a boil, and less time if the corn's fresh.

I'll have to take more notice of what the silk looks like next time I get some corn and see how it affects cooking time. Just knowing that corn gets mushy, not tough, when overcooked will help.

Let's assume you're getting fresh corn. I don't think I'd boil for more than 4 or 5 minutes.

How about the oven? I'm sure you can get enough corn for 50 on 2 racks. From Alton Brown.
Trim off any loose hanging husk, but leave it fully wrapped. Preheat the oven to 350ºF, place the corn in the oven directly on the center rack, and roast for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the ear.
The husks will brown; but watch them, you don't want them to burn.
Remove from the oven, dehusk and desilk.

Let's assume you're getting fresh corn. I don't think I'd boil for more than 4 or 5 minutes.

This is good advice - I grew up on Corn Country and if you boil for anything longer than 5 minutes you'r heating up parts of the ear that you don't eat.

Think about it, you only need to cook the outer shell

I buy some extra sweet corn from a farm north of here and they say to only boil for 3 minutes - and they're right!

Back