I'm cookin'

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After groggily (is that a word?) waking up and getting the pit fired up and running to temp, I threw on 14 (yes 14) chickens. They have been brining since yesterday.

Doing them for a friend's party. Think i'm gonna find something to throw on the hotspot. I'm hungry.

Anybody else cooking this weekend? Buzz is knee deep in a competition right about now.

Doing a practice run for a possible upcoming competition. I've never cooked a butt and brisket at the same time. Got a 6 lb butt on the bottom and a 5 lb flat on the top. Temps holding steady at 217* top and 221* bottom. Put them in around 8 this morning. They got their first "juicin'" about 10 am.

This is really a true test of making me finish in the smoker and not in the oven. It should be interesting, it's going to test my patience.

New recipe ribs.

Cornell chicken.

Two cookers and just started the chimneys about 15 minues ago.

Well, I'm two Miller's tall boys and two Mike's Hard Limeades into this cook -- the ribs and chicken are doing fine and I'm getting buzzed!!!

Overall, a pretty good Saturday. :D

Got some brisket going for bribery purposes. Should have known that it would rain a little since I'm actually smoking for altruistic reasons.

3:30 update

Brisket is wrapped and at 179*, pork butt is lagging at 147*. I may not have let it set out long enough before putting in the smoker. Brisket is on the top, butt is on the bottom. I've run the temps up a little now that the brisket is wrapped. At 1 1/2 hours per lb for a 6 lb butt, I figured I'd be done somewhere around 5:00, but it's looking more like 2 hours per lb today. Just the kind of test I needed!

3 french racks of lamb, a pork butt and 5 lbs of wings been going for a while.

damn I'm loving this.... cold drinks,hot fire, warm pit.. good food. What more can i guy ask for on a lazy saturday afternoon?

5:15 Update

the brisket was done at 4:30, now resting in the smoker above the heat shield. This was part of the test today, holding done product above the heat shield in case I got ahead of myself. ;)
the butt is still lagging, but closer, now at 156* looks like it will be done around 8 at this pace. 12 hours for a 6 lb butt, it must have been the low and slow temps for the brisket that kept it behind where I thought it should be.

The ribs came out nicely done but the double rub was a bit chi-chi for my family -- it was good but more something you would expect from a high end steak house that served ribs. Think I'll give the brine a second chance and use one of my usualy rubs next time.

Chicken came out fall-off-the-bone tender and moist with a nice oak smoke finish. Cooked it on the beer can stand with no can in the ECB.

Overall a good experimental cook.

Didn't have to fire up the backhoe :D

I'm cookin

I have a 6lb. pork loin roast smoked with hickory and wraped waiting for the sides to be ready.Oops got to make a Bud. run. I understand it's against fire code to "Q" with out a beer in your hand. " I might be a Brethern"

NB Lukenbach, O K Joe's,WSM, NB Bandera, Char-Briol Pro.

DFLittle said:
Well, I'm two Miller's tall boys and two Mike's Hard Limeades into this cook -- the ribs and chicken are doing fine and I'm getting buzzed!!!

Overall, a pretty good Saturday. :D

I'm sorry Dave

I wish I saw this sooner.

6oz of Mikes hard lime with 6 oz absolute is awesome

5 of my hard mikes hard will get you to shitsville

Back