ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Payouts???????????????

I have always wondered why at comps they pay the top ten per category but only pay the reserve and grand at most. I would say pay top five in the categories and the 6-10 money should go to the top ten OVERALL. It is much harder to achieve top ten overall than top ten in one category. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Scottie
Babbling Farker

I agree.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
G$
is One Chatty Farker

I am on record as agreeing with this as well.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree as well...

Those I know who disagree believe that small payouts in 6-10 in categories gives cooks who don't compete often a taste of some cash to keep them interested in competing again. I've seen guys joyous over a 25 dollar 9th place category check. Not me, I'd rather get some cash for coming in 5th or 6th overall...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Indeed

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, FAB, Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team) and BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Same view here

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
KCBS, NEBS Member
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

yep, ill join on the bandwagon. Pay the top 3 in each category, than pay the overall top 10

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

The problem is all the hype about THE CALL..... Fark the call, I want the organizers signature or some dead presidents.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I support paying by category even though it costs me money. It's better for competition to have those little guys get thsoe single category calls.

The system is designed to reward excellence (category calls) and consistency (top 2 or even maybe up to 5). Who really thinks a 9th overall when you didn't get a single top 10 should be rewarded over those category top 10 people.

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Pit Mama
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
I agree as well...

Those I know who disagree believe that small payouts in 6-10 in categories gives cooks who don't compete often a taste of some cash to keep them interested in competing again. I've seen guys joyous over a 25 dollar 9th place category check. Not me, I'd rather get some cash for coming in 5th or 6th overall...
I don't compete often, and I'd be happy to come home with any payout as a new team. HOWEVER, I completely agree Jeff, that certainly seems like the right thing to do. A $25.00 payout should never be a deciding factor in weather you would want to do it again.

Unread 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I'm sure the view depends on where you stand. There are an awful lot of cooks who aren't going to place regularly in the top 5 of categories, and if they make up the bulk of the field there's going to be a lot more interest in cash for 6-10 categories rather than diverting it to the overall.

We've also seen the prevalent rationale that Grand and Reserve shouldn't get much because "they got paid in the categories". We've seen Best Booth awarded more than the RGC, and often paid the same as a meat category.

We have more than a couple of contests out here (Pueblo, CO for example) that pay more than Grand and Reserve in the overalls -- Pueblo paid down to 10th in the overall and down to 10th in the categories. That was a $15K contest, it's harder to do that with a smaller prize fund.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

The single category CALL....If thats all they want is to hear their names, so be it. Call them out. Don't give away money and a trophy to a guy who gets seventh place brisket and don't even acknowledge the guy who got fourth overall out of 50 teams because he consistently cooked his or her ass off in every cat whether a call or not. Not got lucky in one category and bombed the rest.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

very interesting topic. I disagree with the "fark the walk attitude" MOST teams would be further ahead by staying home then to spend the $200.00 entry fee plus all the other added expenses so why do they (I) do it? I do it for fun and plastic pigs and cows, not cash Im never gonna get it all back. By adding a small pay out for 6th - 10th in each catagory it keeps the "little guy" interested and tring, sure a ribbon or $25.00 might not mean anything to some but it does to the majority. Not much of a prize pool if the little guys stay home. So I think that a little bone keeps the bbq comp world going around.

Sal

I do also think there should be more recognition for the top 5 over all and the top 10 overall in a large comp.

Unread 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

In two comps last year I saw the same team finish 3rd out of 59 and 2nd of 65 overall with only one call (top 10) at each comp. I'd say finishes like that are worth more than just one just the check and ribbon for the one call - that's consistency across all categories. (yes, I realize the RGC provided recognition and $$, but follow me here)

I know when we don't hear our name in the top 10 overall, the first thing we look at on the score sheet is where we finished overall - not where we finished in categories we didn't get calls in. I'm assuming others do the same.

I understand why the payouts are for category as it increases the chances of the money getting spread around and I don't have an issue with that. But it really would be nice for the top 10 overall to get more recognition than just their name called. Ribbons, medallions, etc for 6th-10th and then cash and trophies or plaques for 3rd-5th would be a nice draw.

We did a comp earlier this year and as advertised it only paid top 5 per category and overall. I kind of questioned that and the organizer asked me what I thought about it. I told him I'd let him know after the comp. Turns out he got more teams than expected and was able to pay out the top 10 per category and top 10 overall. Being as we had two top 5's in categories and finished in the top 10 overall - it worked out great. I did like that he awarded the overalls more than the categories per placement.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Scottie
Babbling Farker

when they were setting up the contest in my hometown, they asked me how in a perfect world would they pay out the monies. I told them the top 10 overall and payout the top 10 for category. The money for 6-10th place was $25. It was taken from the overall/top 5 fund. They ended up going with paying the top 5 overall and giving out ribbons. I also said that if you are paying someone for 5th overall, it better be more money than what 5th place in a category gets.

but I agree with what Matt was sauing. Anyone can get lucky and hit a category. We see it all the time. But to cook well in all 4 categories is what makes the cook, not one category.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote