THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mschrock

While getting the parts together to build a UDS, I have been trying out the only smoker I have: A Brinkman Gourmet smoker. The last few weekends I have been bbqing chicken in it trying to get some experience with it.

I must explain that I've tried to cook ribs twice before, both times were braised in the oven wrapped in foil, and both times they were tough and not good. I swore after those experiences, I would never cook ribs again.

Kroger had pork spare ribs on sale this week, so today I decided was the day to step up to something other than chicken. I spent most of the morning trying to decide what rub recipe to do use.

I used the 3-2-1 method, and when I took them out of the foil they were fall off the bone. I have to give the credit to all the info that I have gleaned on this forum for the past week.

Everything was awesome about them until I took the first bite and it was like taking a bite of nothing but salt. Looking at the package, I noticed that the ribs were enhanced with water,salt, and phosphates.

I guess that I should have used a rub that didn't contain salt?
When making a rub that calls for salt what kind of salt do you use?

On another note, the fatty that I threw on the smoker turned out totally awesome!

Not being a smart alec at all because I had this happen to me too. "Lesson learned"

I'll never buy ribs that have labels like 'enhanced', 'extra tender', or reference a brine solution. I've learned the hard way.

When it's an enhance set and the rub calls for salt, I'd honestly say just to cut the salt out.

Way I see it is the rub is calling for salt that isn't there in the meat, so you're putting it in the rub to get the flavor.
If it's already in the meat, just yoink the salt out of the ingredients, and you'd be golden.

Kroger sells the "Silver Platter" brand ribs, and yes they are "enhanced". Which basically means they have been partially cured with salt and other crap. I don't buy Kroger ribs for that very reason.

it's hard to find grocery store ribs that haven't been "enhanced". i've been getting pretty good ones at Sprouts, otherwise a burcher shop.

I have no problems with Kroger ribs but I use very little or no salt in my rub for ribs. Also I NEVER use Lowery's. Some salt is important for carrying the flavors of other seasonings into the meat but if your ribs are "enhanced" don't double it up by adding more salt.

Last edited:
Just a thought chaps...

If you brine things yourself, they generally need a rinse or a soak in a waterbath for while. If the Kroger ribs have had a brine of some sort, is this not to your benefit.

Give it a soak in water for 1/2 an hour and season as usual. Would this be something worth considering?

Cheers!

Bill

I'm about to put three slabs of Kroger babybacks on this afternoon. Thanks for the advice. I'm holding off on the salt. You may have just saved the day. Thanks.

I did the exact same thing. They looked farkin amazing and then the first bite ruined them. Took me a year to try again. They aren't enhanced but they seem to have extra meat on the outside of the rib on one of the racks. The lesson I have learned is get them at sams so you know what you are getting.

I buy Kroger ribs (baby backs and spares) all the time...never had a complaint or a problem with their ribs.

I soak my ribs every time overnight in pineapple juice with about half-cup of balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar). Maybe this is why I don't get the salty taste - I also don't use salt in my rubs.

Wow... i have only been using kroger ribs, and never noticed that they are using a solution. A full slab at the local kroger is $8 and i like that the way they butcher them they leave alot of the big end on. Last week i got some from the local "VG's" and it was $14 a slab and were not near as meaty.

I have already cut the salt in my rub by 1/2 i might goto 1/4 after reading this, of course i read this 20 minutes after 2 slabs slabs hit the smoker:(

P.S. most people love my ribs.. but i did have 1 guy say "man these are salty"

Personally I don't use any salt in my sauces or rubs.

I used a rub yesterday that had celery salt, garlic salt and kosher salt.

they were uneatable IMO

And the rub got such rave reviews - I wonder if some people just like their food salty?

Some time ago, I thought I hit the jackpot when a local grocer had their spares on sale during a "truckload meat sale" for $1.15 a lb....so I stocked up buying 4 packages with 3 slabs in each. The first 3 I smoked were like any others...turned out great. The second group of 3 I thawed out for a practice run my team was doing at my house back in March. We did em up using the Johnny Trigg method and when we bit into them...they tasted like HAM! Seriously....HAM!
I still have the remaining 6 slabs in the freezer...will probably try to soak them before cooking them. I have to wonder if the 3 that were so hammy didn't get some of the bottom of the barrel solution since it was such a strong flavor and the others weren't too bad?

I'm certainly no seasoned vet and by chance alone I've only had enhanced ribs on one occasion and they definitely were hamy so I've always made a point to check to see if the ones I'm buying are enhanced.

I forget where I read about enhanced meat, but I came to that same conclusion about grocery store ribs. I usually get all my meat from Costco, their spares, babybacks, shoulders and briskets are the best I have found for the price. Haven't tried GFS or Restaurant Depot, and the local butcher is good but pricey.

If you buy enhanced ribs, you have to cook accordingly. All natural or no additives means they have not been enhanced. They cook differently.

Back