MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comp Trailer electric brake controller

I need to buy an electric brake controller for my comp trailer. I have spoke to a couple of folks and they reccomended the Prodigy from Tekonsha.
I know this is a good brand but was wondering if others are just as good and reliable or should I get the prodigy?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

No experience with the Prodigy, but a friend recently installed the P3 from Tekonsha and is very happy with it!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

My truck has the Tekonsha P3 controller installed...great features and options.
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90195.html

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I need to buy an electric brake controller for my comp trailer. I have spoke to a couple of folks and they reccomended the Prodigy from Tekonsha.
I know this is a good brand but was wondering if others are just as good and reliable or should I get the prodigy?
I have prodigy in my Dodge 2500 diesel. My trailer is about 7k lbs and is 30ft long. I like it a lot. Whatever brand you buy go quality not price. Can't put a price on safety.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
HalfSauced
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have the Tekonsha P3 in my truck. Very easy setup. Diagnostics are nice. It will show the voltage and current your trailer brakes are drawing. Buy the wiring harness for your truck and the install will take all of five minutes.
HalfSauced is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Tekonsha Primus here - similar to the other two mentioned here as it's also inertia controlled. Meaning it doesn't function based on pressure applied to truck brakes - but a pendulum inside the the controller. The more it moves forward, the more power it sends to the brakes.

P3 does look nice with those boost features.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 06-07-2010 at 03:58 PM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Smokin' Gamecock
Found some matches.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy I use for hauling a car trailer behind my GMC Yukon. I'm very happy with it's performance. It's easy to dial it in to the load that you're hauling so that you don't eat up brakes or tires.

I bought mine at AdventureRV.net and would shop there again. I have no ties/affiliations with them. They just happened to have the best price when I ordered, and they had the specific wiring harness I needed for the Yukon.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will get the P3. Found a new one on e-bay for $109.00 w/ $12.00 shipping. This is the best price I have seen.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Smokin' Gamecock
Found some matches.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. Don't forget to make sure you order any wiring harnesses or fuses that may be necessary for hooking it to your vehicle.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gamecock View Post
I think you'll be very happy with your choice. Don't forget to make sure you order any wiring harnesses or fuses that may be necessary for hooking it to your vehicle.
I have an 06 toyota tundra that is factory wired. Do you think I should order the harness or use the factory one?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Smokin' Gamecock
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I have an 06 toyota tundra that is factory wired. Do you think I should order the harness or use the factory one?
My Yukon was also factory wired. You just need the cable that goes from the controller to the truck's wiring. Each vehicle manufacturer uses a different plug, so they can't just throw a universal adapter in the box. It should be cheap, but makes it plug-and-play. <$15

Hope that makes sense, and helps!
Smokin' Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gamecock View Post
My Yukon was also factory wired. You just need the cable that goes from the controller to the truck's wiring. Each vehicle manufacturer uses a different plug, so they can't just throw a universal adapter in the box. It should be cheap, but makes it plug-and-play. <$15

Hope that makes sense, and helps!
He is correct. I have an '06 Tundra with a Prodigy Controller. I bought the harness that fits the Prodigy and my truck. The harness worked perfectly. I was able to mount the controller right under the ignition. Fit perfectly.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Smokin' Gamecock
Found some matches.

This is what we're talking about that you'll need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190291185042

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the Prodigy as well. I think I bought mine and the adapter from e-trailers.com. It has worked well and I have zero complaints.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
No experience with the Prodigy, but a friend recently installed the P3 from Tekonsha and is very happy with it!
Have has this since it came out like 3 years ago! It's been the best and most inclusive controller I've ever owned! I like that I can set the surge if I need it when I'm hauling different trailers, (or even the same one loaded and un) to help with the initial braking. You can even diagnose problems right from the unit! It's able to change colors (if that matters) to match your interior lighting, and it warns when it's not connected. I leave mine in all the time so it's powered when my truck comes on. Like I said 3 years and NO issues.