The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Tri-tip and 'catering'

I was asked to cook for a party this past Saturday, a group of friends numbering around 55 to 60 folks at a winery in Napa. I remember how much I enjoy cooking for others, and how much I like hearing how good the food was. Now all I did was the meat, around 30 lbs or so. The standout to me was how well the tri-tip came out.

I have been using a smoke and sear method I learned about here, as I have never smoked tri-tip before, I always direct grilled over oak. Since Christmas 2009, I been using the smoke and sear process and have so far had 9 straight tri-tip cooks go perfectly. Next one will almost certainly go bad now.

This one was done on Weber Genesis grills that I was asked to use, no trusty kettle, no live fire. I did use smoke bombs with apple and oak, I used Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy on half of the meat, the other half was Montreal Steak. I smoked at 250F for about 2 hours, then turned up to high and seared the meat. Internal was somewhere around 130F to 135F when pulled and rested.

I do wonder where the photos are of the rest of the meat, there was more than three tri-tips, and I thought I had shots of the chicken...I was pretty happy with this one...

I was more happy with this one...

And I was really happy with the skinless and boneless breasts of chicken, for me, one of the hardest things to cook en masse and have it serve well. But, the host (client) wanted them so that people wanting no red meat or no fatty meat had an option. I got lucky or did something right, as these breasts, straight from Costco, came out perfectly cooked and stayed moist even the small amount that was left over. Juicy cold chicken that was cooked on a grill, go figure.

I know it was free meat, but, I love the feeling when people come up and tell me that the food was amazing, or was the best they ever had. There is definitely something about feeding folks that is worth the effort.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Very cool Day! Good looking Tri Tip. I have not seen them in stores here are they sometimes called by a different name?

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Nice Bob!

I am thinking about trying a Tri tip

Unread 06-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome looking food landarc! That sounds like the rough life cooking up free meat at a Napa winery on a beautiful day. You are changing my mind about tri-tip and I'll have to give this a go soon. How was the smoke flavor off the bombs? Did you score some free wine?

AND Where are the MOINK Balls???
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is some beautiful looking Tri-Tip - cooked perfectly, I might add!

Say, what's this Smoke and Sear method you speak of?
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
Very cool Day! Good looking Tri Tip. I have not seen them in stores here are they sometimes called by a different name?
I do not know if they go by another name, but, they are the bottom of the bottom sirloin, so if you have access to a butcher who works with primal cuts, you can ask him to remove the bottom 3 or 4 pounds of the bottom sirloin. Failing that, see if he has top sirloin primal, as you can get what is called 'Top Block' out here, it is the opposite end of the sirloin and cooks up very similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
Awesome looking food landarc! That sounds like the rough life cooking up free meat at a Napa winery on a beautiful day. You are changing my mind about tri-tip and I'll have to give this a go soon. How was the smoke flavor off the bombs? Did you score some free wine?

AND Where are the MOINK Balls???
I got a free case of wine, it is a custom blend from the winery, their Estate bottling goes for $70 a bottle, so I got a case worth somewhere around $800 or so. Not bad for a day of work.

I could not convince the host that MOINKS should be on the menu. And after working the grills for 4 hours, I did not feel like coming home and cooking more.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, nice job. A perfect thread for me. I'm going to be doing a party in Oct. for 100. 25 Tri-tips etc. I've got access to 2 horizontal barrels or a santa maria grill, I been trying to figure out how I want to do them. You just helped me make up my mind.
Thanks alot.

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
That is some beautiful looking Tri-Tip - cooked perfectly, I might add!

Say, what's this Smoke and Sear method you speak of?
Full Process...

1. Tri-tips are selected for floppy feeling in cryo pack. I removed them and trim, sometimes there is connective tissue and excess fat to be removed.

2. Start cooker. And yes, I will even do this with a gas grill, I start it first, adjust heat and place smoke bombs on gasser prior to anything else. I believe it is important to stabilize the cook temps.

3. Rub briskets with preferred rub, or rub system etc...Place in pan to aid in moving meat to cooker.

4. Place meat into cooker, indirect heat, 225F to 250F, the object here is to smoke the tri-tips for 2 hours and keep internal temperature below 125F internal. Once smoking is done and meat has gotten some smoke, ramp up heat.

5. You want a hot fire here, sear the meat on all sides, you are just trying to carmelize the surface of the meat and bring up the heat to 130F, remove and rest in foil or cambro-type device.

How this varies from what I was taught. I was taught many years ago to do what I understand to be the Santa Maria style, I learned this from cooks in Central CA, I assume it to be the manner they do it.

1. Prepare a coal bed of oak, coastal oak is preferred/required (I have an issue here). They say you have to bun down wood to coals, only way. Spread coals evenly across the bottom of the pit, I would not that the traditional pits are always solid bottomed.

2. Lower rack of pit, you do have an adjustable rack right? Let it heat up.

3. Meat is rubbed with pulverized garlic, then rubbed with a mix of salt, pepper and chile powder.

4. Meat is put onto hot grate and lowered to a level where the heat is about medium, cook it until it is halfway cooked through and flip, cook until it is done. Here is where I first learned to use my hand to gauge the level of 'doneness'. The guy teaching me reached in and poked the meat, he said you flip, poke and if the meat gives a little and springs back, flip them all. If it is mushy, leave it, if it is hard, you are a dummy. He said raise and lower the grate to control color if you are not done.

5. Remove when both sides react with a mild give when poked. He also said some folks use the meat hook and poke to see color of juices, this works also.

I find both methods give good results, but, the open cooking style takes equipment I do not own, attention to the cooker I do not always have time to give and I have found that the faster cook results in less reliable results that are more subject to meat quality.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

that is some fine tri tip indeed bro, very nice!!!

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Phubar

Looks PerPhect Lando!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
Wow, nice job. A perfect thread for me. I'm going to be doing a party in Oct. for 100. 25 Tri-tips etc. I've got access to 2 horizontal barrels or a santa maria grill, I been trying to figure out how I want to do them. You just helped me make up my mind.
Thanks alot.
If I had access to smokers and a grill, I gotta tell you I would do both. Smoke then grill over an open coal bed...that is the way. And I would do ribs that way too. You smoke the ribs for two hours, get em hot and smoky, then mop them (yes, landarc said mop ribs) with a mix of clarified butter, honey and some brown sugar/chile powder/nutmeg rub and grill them over medium fire.

Years ago I had the opportunity to cook with some old Japanese farmers and ranches outside of San Luis Obispo, and they showed me a recipe using teriyaki, ribs and what I just described to you above. It was similar to what my mom did in our oven. Yes, teriyaki spareribs, don't knock it. Cooked over the oak fire, these were terrific.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
markn902
Found some matches.

Quote:
I run into the same problem with Tri-Tip where I live in Indiana. I am originally from CA and Tri-Tip was everywhere. Here in Indiana when I ask for it people look at me like I am nutty. I still don't have it figured out completely but here is the Wiki on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip
Also Tri-Tip is awesome and I love it and this guys looks absolutely delic!
markn902 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I have not seen them in stores here are they sometimes called by a different name?
When I lived in the Midwest tri-tip would pop up sometimes under the name triangle roast or bottom sirloin butt. But often the butchers there just grind it up in a mix for hamburger.
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote