The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
ganso
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 8 hour ribs??

Watching a little food network and watched the Texas Road House bbq ribs and how they make them. They started out with a rub then a SECRET ingredient, looked like liquid smoke, then they put the ribs in a roasting pan and foiled tight. Then they cooked them a 300 degrees for 8 hours then put them on the grill and sauced. Is this possible, would they even stay together after that long. Just thought it would not work, they looked good though. Pat
ganso is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did they say what temp the oven was.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I guess they like to eat ribs with a straw. Perfectly done...amazing chit!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

I'll say most ribs I've had at anything less than a true BBQ venue were mush and melted off the bone, didn't even fall off.

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

I can not see how ribs would survive an 8 hour cook being foiled from the start. I have baked ribs at 250* for three hours and they were way fall off the bone ribs. IMO Personally after 2 hours in foil at that temp they should ready for the grill and sauce. Maybe the secret to their ribs is the directions are bogus!

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Jiggs
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganso View Post
Watching a little food network and watched the Texas Road House bbq ribs and how they make them. They started out with a rub then a SECRET ingredient, looked like liquid smoke, then they put the ribs in a roasting pan and foiled tight. Then they cooked them a 300 degrees for 8 hours then put them on the grill and sauced. Is this possible, would they even stay together after that long. Just thought it would not work, they looked good though. Pat
I saw that too tonight. It was the show "Unwrapped" and it was about BBQ.

Yep, they rubbed the ribs, put them in a big roasting pan on a rack with some water and "secret" ingredient below and in the oven at 300 degrees for 8 hours! Then they throw em on the grill for a few minutes and sauce 'em up. They were literally falling apart mush, and the Texas Roadhouse guy acted like they were the best ribs on earth.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

It's been a couple of years since I've had their ribs but since I don't recall eating rib soup so I can't imagine this is accurate. A Google search yielded a Texas Roadhouse recipe calling for 5 hours @ 250. It also mentions dipping the rack in bacon grease after smoking. Interesting...