Adding water tank to stickburner

paperboy98

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'd like to add a water tank/steam feature to my offset stick burner. Anyone have any ideas, plans or pictures to share? Thanks in advance.
paperboy98

I just put an aluminum pan of water on top of the baffle.

Ive been wanting to add a water system, like a gerbil waterer only larger.

Drilling a small hole in the side of the smoker, attaching a water container to a line that feeds thru the hole and into the water pan.

As the water is used up, more water would fill the pan. Using small amounts of water at a time would reduce the temp change of adding water all at once, and the water could be monitored without opening the smoker. If I make the storage container from metal, and attach it close to the firebox, the water would pre heat. Still working on the expansion of the water over running the water pan inside.

Probably already been done by somebody,

I will only add that adding an enclosed tank of water to the heating surface of a firebox. You will have to be aware of contact heating of the water in the enclosed container and the possible generation of steam inside.

Science/safety lesson Water expands 1100/1200 times depending on what books you have. Unless you have made provisions for release it can turn into a very large problem fast!
Steam scalding burns are one of the worse types of burns for healing and pain.

If your thinking is to have hot water for cleaning or uses, a better idea would be a smaller LP camper type regular hot water heater with a 40 or 100 pound bottle for use.

I hold a State of Michigan, and City of Detroit 1st class unlimited steam stationary engineers license. Coming up on 35 issues.

I too have the same question
Bbq Bubba said:

IMO
I think that if you add a water pan, use it a few times and compare the end results with and without a water pan, you will find that it has absolutely NO effect on the finished product.

There is already SO much moisture in the meats you smoke that you could not introduse ANY more moisture with a water pan.

I used to add cheap Beer, good Beer, cheap Wine, good Wine, Onions, Lemons, Celantro, Garlic, Pepper Flakes and just about everything else I could to get a better flavor and moisture in my finished product.

After years of all that experimenting, I tried the same smoking method WITHOUT a water pan and all of those ingredients.

Know what I found? Same end product WITHOUT the pan.

Might just be me, but I wish I would have drank all those Beers and Wine and ate the ingredients on a Salad. I would have been better off!

PARTY!!!!!!!
Been there over the last 25 years and done that.

Depending on your set-up, I don't think steam pressure will be an issue. Your delivery system will not be sealed up enough to allow the pressure to build up that much.

IF you really want to add a self-replenishing water pan, I'd suggest going with a flexible copper tube attached to the bottom of the pan and the reservoir suspended above the pan, on the outside of the smoker. This will work similar to how the self-replenishing pet water dishes work; the pan will fill with water until the tube is completely covered. Once air can no longer get into the tube, the water will stop coming out due to suction created inside the reservoir (assuming everything is air-tight).

As the water boils away, the tube will become exposed again, alloing a small amount of water back into the pan. If the water in the reservoir starts to build up steam pressure, all it will do is force a little more water out of the reservoir and into the pan.

If you go this route, you might want to add a valve where the tube meets the reservoir and an sealable opening at the top. When you need to fill the reservoir, just close the valve and open the top. Always cook with the valve open tho, otherwise the steam pressure WILL become an issue.

Hope that helps.

Adding water pan

Well, you guys talked me out of it! Think I'll just go to Burger King for moist ribs! Thanks for all the comments and ideas.
paperboy98

Hmmmmmm....................;}-

Why,do you like steamed "Que"?:rolleyes:
Just my two pennies:becky:
Have fun and,

Some of these posts can get pretty damn funny.

The guy ask about adding water, lots of people ask about adding water. Sounds to me like lots of people dry out thier meat. I personaly dont. My thoughts on adding water, are simply to maintain a certain Humidity in the smoker while cooking. Kinda like maintaining the proper temp? drill in a hydrometer, why the hell not, who knows?

I guess since the first guy invented a smoker, nothing has changed. They are the same now as they ever where, and all the different brands are just hype.

There are no differences between smokers, they way the use fuel or the way they maintain heat.

But then when I wake up from this terrible dream, I realize that smokers have evolved, from people not afraid to try new things , to improve as it were.

Thank God for the guy who saw a old rusty drum and thought he might be able to smoke meat in the damn thing.

Water pans have been around for a long time. Longer than most of us. Once you think you are an expert at anything, some young guy is gonna come up and knock you down a few, cause he wasnt afraid to try something new.

My offset smoker still runs dry, I have a water pan built in and it helps even the temp across the chamber. With out the water in the pan, I get around 15-20 deg diff between the ends, with the water I get around 5 deg. Personally, I would rather open a valve than have to open the door during a long cook to add water.

Ok, Im tired now, night all

Back