ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ummm, can you say pick up?
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

What about these guys?

http://www.stauntonfoods.com/home.html

I think if you called them and told them you wanted to shift away from Sysco, they would bend over backwards to get your business.

Do you have FSA (food service of america) around there? I have seen some pretty good ribs come from them, if you pay the extra to get the better cuts.

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #18
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Another fridge might be worth the investment vs. having to drive three hours any time you book a gig. It's Sysco's gas and time vs. your gas and time.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Daddy's Butt Rub gonna have to give Staunton Foods a call, Sysco has no will call/pick up except for an emergency. The Sysco trucks drive 75 yards in front of me daily, in other words to drop an order to me they have to turn right and go 75 yards from thier planned route to local restaurants. So its not like I am out of the way and costing them overtime and fuel.
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I would check with the rep and find out the real story.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
HONCHO GREGORY
Knows what a fatty is.

Yea, tell the syco rep. that the other reps been callin you every week or two. and he'll bet the sysco price. Then see what he says.
Betcha he says "Oh that was ment for this giuy that only buys once or twice
Play their game
HONCHO GREGORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, these guys get paid commissions so they have an incentive to sell, sell, sell. They may be pushed by mgmt. to get larger accounts but I would bet that they can service you.
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Leopardstripes
Knows what a fatty is.

Do you folks have Cash n' Carry out that way? They have pretty fair stuff, most of the time, and plenty of quantity...also, had you considered checking with local meat producers? We've got some local shops here who can supply as much meat as you could ask for, top-notch stuff, as long as they have a week's lead time- and they'll work with you, because they're so glad to have the business- the smallest hole-in-the-wall (to all appearances) can sometimes be the best vendors to deal with, for quality and reliability.
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I have been buying from Sysco since we opened our catering/concessions business in April. Every order has been $475-$750 except for my last which was $275, I got the email from my rep below.

" Sysco Rep-I received an email from my manager sent to everyone in our district.

He states –(taken exactly from his email - “A while back we removed the approval process for under 20 piece orders. We as a company have not done a very good job of managing this process. Our orders less than 20 are up significantly and our driver overtime and miles are up for the same time period. We need to get a handle on this immediately in order to control expenses. “

They want me to place a 20 case order which there is no way I can not knowing from week to week what I am doing and not having huge refrigerator space for meats. So back to Sams and Costco for me. I have to find a supplier for chicken leg quarters and whole beef briskets as there are none around here.
are you anywhere near chesapeake? i really dont feel like looking on mapquest. If you are i hooked up with a guy down there last week while vending at the chesapeake jubilee and he had good prices on his meat.
Unread 06-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Sooo, more of their customers are making orders for less than 20 cases, they see the answer as not taking those orders anymore. Interesting business tactic.
Yeah, great thinking...
No business is better than some business??
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

We just picked up a case of chicken quarters at sams for less than 30 dollars. Never seen brisket there. Just ask what the case price is next time you go. There were 36 big leg quarters in the case.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #27
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

GRIND'EM, each week I place a $300-$600 order with my Sysco guy. They have rumbled about how expencive it is to do small orders like that. Last winter I got a letter much like what your talking about. The following wednesday when my rep showed up "whom I like alot" I told him that we were not going to be doing any more biz together because of the letter and he freaked! It took him about 10 minutes to straighted it out. To date, I have placed orders for nothing more than 2 cases of meat some weeks and they have delivered without fail.
Bottom line is this, they need you as much as you need them. Play hardball with them and watch how fast they change their tune!!!!
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #28
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I met with reps from both sysco and us foods. wasn't overly impressed with prices, we have a local family owned distrubitor that has no issues going out of there way to help us out. They'll open on sundays if I should happen to run out of product while vending (has happened several times) Delivery is a 100 buck minium, 3 dollar surcharge for less than 100. I'd say look for a local distrubtor and start a good relationship with them. Good luck.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #29
spinone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Get in touch with your Rep. That's what they get paid for. In this wonderful day of you being a customer number in a computer many times letters get sent through a system without anyone really seeing what gets sent to who. Your Rep probably understands that there is no real extra expense delivering product to you if you are on route of the truck that services you and you are available to receive product during the delivery schedule they set up. The accountant and programmer who set up accounting software to send form letters do not make their money on commissions and the computer doesn't have "reasoning" with who should and shouldn't get a letter. If your Rep can not solve this problem, consider it a blessing that you know now that you need to change suppliers and are not in the situation of having a quality or availability problem that your Rep is less than helpful with solving for you.

I try to think of all my suppliers as partners. We all need to work together to make money. I need to make money to buy their product, they need to make a profit to provide me with the quality and service I demand. I always hold my end of the bargain (my mistakes are not their mistakes, loyalty and expedient pay) and if they can not do the same the "partnership" is over.
spinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

My Sysco rep has the same problem with 20 minimum. We play the game and fine inexpensive items that can break a case and buy those occassionly. Have found that it is worth the drive to go to restaurant depot for a lot of my items. As an example, low temp detergent, rinse, sanitizer from Sysco run $300 (eco labs 2.5 gal) and from RD $75 (5 gal buckets). Other items such as bacon and chicken can be less. Good thing they implemented their 20 item minimum, made me go look and save.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote