MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is your average TARGET cooking temp for Brisket. NOT INTERNAL, the house temp
180-200 Fopr total smoking NOT ring set 1 1.23%
225-240 23 28.40%
250 to 325 51 62.96%
330-350 5 6.17%
355 to - anything below 425 BLAZING SPEEDS 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
OOPS, I meant option 3. 250 will include the 225-250 range most people use to shoot for. I remember starting out and I always shot for 225-250. Now I don't have the time to waste and if I can keep turning out briskets in 4-5 hours like the 15 lber I did Sat, I'll stay around 300. Gives me more time to spend with the family.
Ty,

What do you do to keep temps high in your spicewine?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
swamprb

Option # 3 for the swamprb!

I will kindly defer to the man from Duvall on his choice of target temps! I will be keeping a keener eye on the pit temps on the road, as that is his baby-but on my deck, I hit 'em hard with smoke between 330*-350* dome.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

My Bandera offset has too many air leaks to be able to keep it in the 225 range, so I've always been closer to 275. Trying a bit higher these days.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
MilitantSquatter

I never cooked at 225.

With my first pit (a Pitts & Spitts) I usually rode around 235-240 as seemed like it gave me a cushion at the time if temps dropped or spiked a bit.. When I had the WSM's, 245-255 was where I used to lock them in at. Then I moved to the Spicewine and carried the 245-255 over with a Guru but cooked the briskets hotter to the top and rear where I believe it was more like 260-270. Haven't done a brisket in the BGE.

Now, based on my initial experiences with the Klose as primary brisket cooker, I'll likely be in the 275 range and I can also work closer to firebox for more heat if I choose but I don't forsee pushing 300+ regularly.. I like the 275 range as a happy medium.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 05-31-2010 at 11:22 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #20
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
240 to 260 in a 700 Oyler & its brother.

Danny
Now just rack two racks of ribs under your spares and you are in business.

I love the Oyler.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

You have seen both of my beasts. I came to the same conclusion too Obviously. I once did calzones at 425 and above and I felt like I was a stoker in the titanic keeping the temp up. Lots of chopping wood into smaller wrist size sticks to get it up high. and Always stocking the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I never cooked at 225.

With my first pit (a Pitts & Spitts) I usually rode around 235-240 as seemed like it gave me a cushion at the time if temps dropped or spiked a bit.. When I had the WSM's, 245-255 was where I used to lock them in at. Then I moved to the Spicewine and carried the 245-255 over with a Guru but cooked the briskets hotter to the top and rear where I believe it was more like 260-270. Haven't done a brisket in the BGE.

Now, based on my initial experiences with the Klose as primary brisket cooker, I'll likely be in the 275 range and I can also work closer to firebox for more heat if I choose but I don't forsee pushing 300+ regularly.. I like the 275 range as a happy medium.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Terry4

Until this spring, my previous 8 yrs. worth of brisket was all done in the 225-245 temperature range. But after spending the winter months reading Brethren posts about "hot and fast", I decided to give it a try. Now my fire in the furnace may have left some grey on my face, but I am still "young" enough to be adventureous with my cooking. After turning out some of my best brisket ever with hot and fast, I AM HOOKED. Less time, great taste, and even more compliments; what more do I need. I now cook in the third heat range.

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]

Last edited by Ye Olde Party Palace; 06-01-2010 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: mis-spelled
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #23
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always sit at a 250 minimum, due to the fact my smoker seems to "favor" that amount, I'll let it get to 300, but anything above that starts to freak me out. Not sure why. Maybe it's because of the "tradition" of my youth.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #24
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I smoked a 14# choice whole packer on friday for 8 hours in the 275-300 range on the WSM and it turned out perfect. I like the higher heat, thanks Donny. BTW no foil was used except to line the water pan.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

I feel left out in this poll? I keep my WSM dialed into the 240 to 250 range and if I'm feeling crazy I'll give the 325 to 330 range a whirl. : )

Sorry - couldn't resist. Great idea for a poll Pop! Seriously, we have been in a comfort zone of 250 to 275 for a while but those temps are increasing slowly the more brisket we cook. Did one with a new recipe over the weekend and kept it pegged between 275/285. Have to ditch the water pan on the WSM to go higher. The next brisket poll should be what internal do you pull and wrap and for how long.

We need to come up with a catchy term for this middle ground of temps. Low & Slow is nice and relaxing while Hot & Fast is sexy! Medium & Medium just doesn't have that nice ring to it?
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I like 330 - 350 but I have gone higher several times in the 355 - 400 range with great results also. I love HH. I love low and slow cooked briskets also but only when someone else cooks it because I don't have the patience too cook one for a long time.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I smoked a 14# choice whole packer on friday for 8 hours in the 275-300 range on the WSM and it turned out perfect. I like the higher heat, thanks Donny. BTW no foil was used except to line the water pan.
Sorry this is a bit off topic or smoker specific but the I think the ? is still relevant discussing temps.

Hi Neil,

Are you using an 18 or 22 WSM? What type of charcoal are you using? Water or sand in the water pan? Stoker?

On our 22's, full simmering water pan (which we get great results with and aren't about to ditch for sand or alt), all vents wide open, no stoker, Royal Oak charcoal, we are hard pressed to get above 285 and keep it there - always settles back into the 250 to 275 range which is partly why that has become our comfort zone - this also gives us some vent control depending on wind and ambient. Will run in that zone with full load for a good 5 hours.

For hot and fast we just leave the water pan in but empty. No problem getting 350/375 when needed. But big fan of water smokers and the results. Sounds like your maintaining higher temps approaching 300 with a full water pan? Is this correct? If so how?

Thanks!
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I wish I had all the sleep back I missed from 1997 to about 2003 when for some reason after all the time I spent at Kreuz, I lowered my temps to that 230 range. Lots and lots of sleep missed.

Here is an example of what I mean. I got word at 10:30 that we had company over and I didn't want to go to the store and had a brisket in the fridge. I cranked up the weber kettle (no way I am pulling the meat mama out of the garage anymore (A pit that can do about 24 Briskets or my Brazos which can do maybe 80 if you bank them) and go buy extra ribs and extra briskets to make the 1/4 cord face of wood that feeds that beast worth the effort.

Sop anyway I put it on at 11:00 By 3 it was ready to wrap, and yes I did pan and wrap it in foil because I had no time to waste. At 4 I check the flat portion and it was done. I just snatched a piece and it was phenomenal. Sure I will have a about an inch at the tip of the flat that's two dry to do anything with but BURNT ends but the rest is juicy, smokey, BEEFY and tender and drenching like a hot 3rd cousin in the back seat of my Corvair after we both ate a spiked Cantelope at my family reunion.
That's what I'm shootin' for in my brisket!! .....300-325 range in my BDS
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #29
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Been a while since I posted here, but i'm still smoking in the background. Brisket, H&F, HH, whatever, 325-350 for me in the UDS. for the last hour I generally ramp up to about 400 by the time it's all said and done. The guys I cook for at my facility don't care so much about the smoke ring as they do the great taste of brisket so cooking them fast works out well and the longest i've had one take is 4 hours and 5 minutes start to finish. That's a lot of gained sleep!!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
Boshizzle

When I mainly used my Chargriller w/SFB, the best I could get was about 225. On a good day, had a little more range up to 275. With the UDS, I have been cooking brisket in the 275 -290 range and love it. The brisket is good and I don't have to spend all day baby sitting the cooker.