MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is your average TARGET cooking temp for Brisket. NOT INTERNAL, the house temp
180-200 Fopr total smoking NOT ring set 1 1.23%
225-240 23 28.40%
250 to 325 51 62.96%
330-350 5 6.17%
355 to - anything below 425 BLAZING SPEEDS 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Default Favored Brisket Temp range

This is the best cross section of bbqers out there... from the Ark Royal to the Taylor International. Compers, caterers, resturant owners with huge racks on display, and back yarders.

Heres the question in Poll form?

Pay careful attention to the verbiage in the polls.

What average temps you cook BRISKET at? This exclude those who take their briskets out and finish them in the oven. Also, those if us (like me) how set the ring at say, 200 then ramp it up... its that ramped up temp average I want to know.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Then: 250° - 270°
Now: 285° - 305°

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I expect option two will be the most people. I smoke with you Third.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
JD McGee

300-325 is my target grate temps...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This crazy farker from a YouTube video showed cooking briskie at a high temp in a strip club parking lot. I originally thought he was either drunk or high on Church Village crack. I thought, WTH, my method isn't working. I'll give it a try.

As it turns out, the Church Village crack made the guy a bit smarter.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

LOL Shane... joke is one me, when I started subbing, well, i did so well with the Church Village and Pine Forest Kiddies they make sure I get the classes other sub walk out of.

I am planning to show up and do burgers and Pork sandwiches at that apartment complex one day this summer. The kids, who all know Mr T... will love it.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
thillin

Yep, option 2 is a wide enough range to include most. Now if that option was split at 275, you might get more of a lopsided poll.

But I've been doing grate temps between 300-325 as well. Works as well in the Eggs as it does the Spicewine.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Yeah well I did that because I am comparing some stuff from about 2-3 years ago with now. I am amazed actually. I thought that the range of basically below 240 or so would blow out.

I stoipped it at that level because if I used 275 it would kind of be a catch all for everyone. I base this on records from this forum and another of how people ridiculed or rejected temps above 250. Maybe we hot and faster are not such a minority anymore. I look at it this way.... if you eat brisket it cuts of a certain portion of your life due to it being unhealthy... so taking 12 plus hours to make it cuts off more. There should be balance. LOL Solution, cook faster and the time you loose from dying early from a stroke will be offest (no pun entended) by the time you saved not nursing it. Of course like those fat free cookies, some may just eat more.

But I am not sure why the 225 region is not exploding. I knew there where a handfull of us at one time that cooked at above 270 or so (My first Brisket at 350-400 is resting in the oven right now and I did it on the weber so it screamed to completion at about 4.5 hours , a 14 lber. (95 cent a pound at HEB untrimmed so what the hey).

I keep seeing a new word pop up in our usual every 6 hour "Brisket Help" threads and that's HotnFast. Lots of people are trying it. Heck, I am actually doing a TRUE hot and fast as my Brazos pit I usually cook under 325.

But I had NO idea (I know its early in the game) that the ranks would blow out the lower temp (not the really really jerky making temps of under 220, but the 225 range.

LEts get those votes in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
Yep, option 2 is a wide enough range to include most. Now if that option was split at 275, you might get more of a lopsided poll.

But I've been doing grate temps between 300-325 as well. Works as well in the Eggs as it does the Spicewine.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Yeah well I did that because I am comparing some stuff from about 2-3 years ago with now. I am amazed actually. I thought that the range of basically below 240 or so would blow out.

I stoipped it at that level because if I used 275 it would kind of be a catch all for everyone. I base this on records from this forum and another of how people ridiculed or rejected temps above 250. Maybe we hot and faster are not such a minority anymore. I look at it this way.... if you eat brisket it cuts of a certain portion of your life due to it being unhealthy... so taking 12 plus hours to make it cuts off more. There should be balance. LOL Solution, cook faster and the time you loose from dying early from a stroke will be offest (no pun entended) by the time you saved not nursing it. Of course like those fat free cookies, some may just eat more.

But I am not sure why the 225 region is not exploding. I knew there where a handfull of us at one time that cooked at above 270 or so (My first Brisket at 350-400 is resting in the oven right now and I did it on the weber so it screamed to completion at about 4.5 hours , a 14 lber. (95 cent a pound at HEB untrimmed so what the hey).

I keep seeing a new word pop up in our usual every 6 hour "Brisket Help" threads and that's HotnFast. Lots of people are trying it. Heck, I am actually doing a TRUE hot and fast as my Brazos pit I usually cook under 325.

But I had NO idea (I know its early in the game) that the ranks would blow out the lower temp (not the really really jerky making temps of under 220, but the 225 range.

LEts get those votes in!
OOPS, I meant option 3. 250 will include the 225-250 range most people use to shoot for. I remember starting out and I always shot for 225-250. Now I don't have the time to waste and if I can keep turning out briskets in 4-5 hours like the 15 lber I did Sat, I'll stay around 300. Gives me more time to spend with the family.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I wish I had all the sleep back I missed from 1997 to about 2003 when for some reason after all the time I spent at Kreuz, I lowered my temps to that 230 range. Lots and lots of sleep missed.

Here is an example of what I mean. I got word at 10:30 that we had company over and I didn't want to go to the store and had a brisket in the fridge. I cranked up the weber kettle (no way I am pulling the meat mama out of the garage anymore (A pit that can do about 24 Briskets or my Brazos which can do maybe 80 if you bank them) and go buy extra ribs and extra briskets to make the 1/4 cord face of wood that feeds that beast worth the effort.

Sop anyway I put it on at 11:00 By 3 it was ready to wrap, and yes I did pan and wrap it in foil because I had no time to waste. At 4 I check the flat portion and it was done. I just snatched a piece and it was phenomenal. Sure I will have a about an inch at the tip of the flat that's two dry to do anything with but BURNT ends but the rest is juicy, smokey, BEEFY and tender and drenching like a hot 3rd cousin in the back seat of my Corvair after we both ate a spiked Cantelope at my family reunion.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

300 is where the magic happens.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
bigabyte

250 here.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I run my lid temp at 270ish which gives me a grate temp around 320 - 325.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Danny
Got Wood.

240 to 260 in a 700 Oyler & its brother.

Danny
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm up on the downstroke - I aim for 300 and generally run 280+.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote