MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Seavs
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default First Brisket Question

I am smoking a 7 1/2 lbs brisket on a New Braunfels (Bandera) smoker...I plan to cook it at 225 for about 10-12 hours...my question is..would you recommend that I cook it fat side up without flipping? I was thinking about flipping every 2 hours, but I don't like all the juices running out when I do that. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Seavs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Kosmo's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Fat side up for the 1st half. Then flip for the last half. IMO
Kosmo's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I don't think it will take that long, 8-10 hours is my guess. Now, it might take that long if you are opening up your smoker every 2 hours. You don't need to flip but once if at all. Flipping once is mainly necessary on a UDS.

I am a fat side down guy myself but someone did a test and they could not tell the difference either way. That being said, I think the consensus on the board is fat side towards the heat which in a bandera is fat side down. The fat layer buffers the heat.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

The age old question. And you aren't going to get a definitive response. On my Bandera I was a fat up guy.

However, I believe most of us are going to suggest you not flip it.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fat cap down...cook it till it's done (when you can slide a probe into the flat with little resistance)...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
moonpie
Got Wood.

I say fat side up...all the way through, letting the melting fat travel down through the meat. 185-225 degrees for 10-12 hours has always worked for me. I know my temp zone looks a little loose, but I don't like constantly messing with my air trying to get the perfect temp.
moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Seavs
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the great responses...I guess I will try it fat side up this time and see what happens. I'll post the results.
Seavs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavs View Post
I am smoking a 7 1/2 lbs brisket on a New Braunfels (Bandera) smoker...I plan to cook it at 225 for about 10-12 hours...my question is..would you recommend that I cook it fat side up without flipping? I was thinking about flipping every 2 hours, but I don't like all the juices running out when I do that. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
On a New Bransfels smoker you will beat beating your head against the wall trying to keep the temp down and really, if you let it flow naturally... you are going to have a great brisket.

remember at 225, the odds that your meat is going to cook in an envelope of 225 heat is minuscule even if a therm right next to it reads 225. In addition, 225 is damn close to NOTHING land... the zone where nothing but taking on smoke and drying occurs (about 212).

The primary reason briskets take forever to cook and dry out at this temp is because they basically spend a ,lot of time just sitting there.

forget what you have heard and let that smoker cook at its natural temp (depending on the fire) at about 250 - 300 away from the fire inlet and enjoy.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
I say fat side up...all the way through, letting the melting fat travel down through the meat. 185-225 degrees for 10-12 hours has always worked for me. I know my temp zone looks a little loose, but I don't like constantly messing with my air trying to get the perfect temp.
fat up is good in some circumstances and frankly the smoker he is using could probably be one of those instances. However, due to a brisket's structure, most of the fat does not travel down through. It travels in between the sinew and out the sides.

It DOES when it melts form a barrier that helps with moistness. Which is why, yes, doing a brisket upside down also forms a bowl of sorts that keeps the liquids in a bit.

Either way up or down would be great for a NBS

and where is this 185 - stuff coming from. Is someone playing a huge joke on us?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Go hot and fast. Never look back.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote