The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
cdoink
Found some matches.

Default Burning out a liner: Questions.

Hello,

a friend and I managed to score 2 55 Gallon Drums that we intend to turn into UDS's.

They were used for glucose and have a tan liner in them. We are in the process of burning them out(or attempting to) and after several hours of burning the liner appears to have turned black but it's still there. Is this normal? Should it burn right off? What are we looking for here ideally?

How long does this usually take and are their any other methods that any of you could recommend.

Any advice or info would be very appreciated.
cdoink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Make sure you drill the air intake hole(s) in the drum before you start the fire. you need the fire to burn inside the drum. the paint on the outside of the drum should also burn off if the fire is hot enough.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails just ask yourself, [SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]W[COLOR=Lime]W[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]G[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]A[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOrange]L[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]D[/COLOR][/SIZE]???
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Mark Stanton
is one Smokin' Farker

I had the red liner in mine. It turned black after I burned it. It never burned out. I had to wire wheel it and sand on it. It took a while and was a lot of work but sure makes some good Q. Good luck!
Mark Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
hogman
Found some matches.

good venting and a mix of light dry wood like willow and seasoned oak from old heavy
pallets will make that drum look like a cherry and ive seen nothing that will stay on it.
hogman is offline   Reply With Quote