MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First Brisket, just a few questions

I've done pretty much everything else on my UDS just haven't given brisket a go yet, that is changing on Sat. I think I got the cooking part of it figured out, my questions are regarding marinating/injecting the meat on Fri night. what do you use for brisket?. Also, I've seen fat up and fat down debated quite a bit, which way should I go? I plan on using Plowboys Bovine Bold for the rub.
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For your first, I wouldn't inject it, and, on a UDS, I'd put it fat side down, to offer some protection from the fire below it.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am a fat side down cooker too. I have not injected and like the results I get. If I was gonna inject, I would either just do beef broth or a pre-made like Butcher's or Kosmo's for a first attempt.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

I agree on the skipping on the injection, especially if this is your first brisket.

Learn what you've got and then you'll determine how to build on it (if it's even necessary).

I've not cooked on a UDS but fat down seems more logical.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have a UDS, but the fat side down idea seems like there will be a LOT of smoke going that way.

I need to build me one and try it.

(Still looking for a drum in the Nothern VA area )

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I agree with all the above. But, In a judging class I attended The instructor told me that he puts it in a foil pan with a little beer. When it gets to 165 he covers it and just leaves it that way until he reaches the temp he wants. I like 195-200. Let it rest for about 45 and slice.

I have to say I wondered until I tried it. It was my best so far.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, fat cap down on the UDS. You might try injecting unsalted beef broth, apple juice or Kosmo's - all will work well if used in moderation. Good luck on your first briskie!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can't go wrong with the Bovine Bold. It's great stuff. Here are my tips.

Rub it down with black pepper and Yardbird Bovine Bold and a little red pepper, if you like it with a little kick. If you want to inject, use some low sodium beef stock (not broth) with a little Bovine Bold and fine grind black pepper in it and maybe a little granulated garlic and a smaller amount of onion powder, but it's not necessary.

The Beef Association says that garlic, onion, and mushroom goes great with beef. They also recommend potato skins to eliminate the "warmed over flavor" (WOF) when you reheat it.

Cook it fat side down at 300 degrees until it reaches 160 degrees internal temperature. Then, put it in a foil pan and seal the top with foil. Cook it until it reaches 200 degrees. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and turn it off. Put the brisket, still in the sealed foil pan, in the oven and let it sit for 2 hours.

Remove it from the oven, pour the au jus into a fat separator and separate the fat from the stock. Put the au jus in a serving container that is big enough to hold the sliced brisket. You can add a little of your favorite sauce too, if you want.

If you want a dryer bark, remove it from the pan reserving the drippings and separating the fat as described above, put the brisket back in the smoker without the pan and let the outside crust up a little for about 30 to 60 minutes.

Slice the brisket against the grain and put it in the au jus. If you want to make burnt ends, cut the point into 1" square chunks and put them in a foil pan half way covered with your favorite beef BBQ sauce (Head Country is a good choice; Cattleman's is another good choice for beef.). Put them on the smoker for about another hour or so.

Serve and enjoy.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 05-27-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
I agree with all the above. But, In a judging class I attended The instructor told me that he puts it in a foil pan with a little beer. When it gets to 165 he covers it and just leaves it that way until he reaches the temp he wants. I like 195-200. Let it rest for about 45 and slice.

I have to say I wondered until I tried it. It was my best so far.

Do you get a crusty outside and a good smoke ring? I ask as I like a more smokey flavor.

Thanks.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

fat down, we have gone back and forth on injecting or not but for you first try go without. When we hit 195 we foil with Head Country marinade. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hawkeye......................................;}-

Beef is my favorite meat,and I don't like messing it up,especially Brisket,
I was raised in Te ple,Tx., on Old School style; not that there are a few blends of rub that accents the cow, but IMHO, a simple CBP-coarse salt and maybe some Garlic. That's the best season for Beef of any kind. I get whole pepper corns from Dollar General and put them in a zipper-lock and pound them with a cast iron pan.Slow smoke with real wood(my choice) for 1.5hrs. per pound and fat up. No looking;no clouds of smoke;no injection. Simple is better...
Have fun and,

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Professor
Knows what a fatty is.

I have only done 2 briskets. I think the fat down makes good sense. I have rubbed with Montreal and Worcestershire (in fridge overnight). I smoked it ~225-250 until ~165 then wrapped in foil. The temperature plateaus between 160-170 for a while - be patience. Total time in pit between 10-12 hours.

Good luck!
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Thermapen (fastest and most accurate)[/COLOR][/B]
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhowsit View Post
Do you get a crusty outside and a good smoke ring? I ask as I like a more smokey flavor.

Thanks.

wallace

Yes, I had nice bark and lots of smokey flavor. Just saw another post that recommends a similar method. Looks good to me. This is what I got. Not a great pron.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote