MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
drewcountry
Found some matches.

Default Brisket Help

With so much talk about the brisket I decided to take a go at it. I got two 20lbs briskets. I have been reading what other Brethren have been doing and copied. I trimmed them both down to about 18lbs (they were kind of fatty) I injected them with my home made injection I use for Tri-Tip, and rubbed them with mustard and my homemade rub. I have them sitting in the fridge until tomorrow morning. (about 10 hours until I start heating them up) Now for the question. I am using the UDS for one of them. (I'm going to try the hot and fast method) the other one is going to be on my Webber Gas Grill. Does the hot and fast method still apply to the grill, or do I have to do it differently? I will post some pics. as I go tomorrow but I could use some good Brethren help!!! I'm new and I have 45 people counting on me not to mess this up. Any help!!!???
drewcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Dylan's Dad
On the road to being a farker

I'm way to new to offer substantial advice, but if you can somehow fit them both in the UDS that is all I would use. Others can chime in and help but that would be my suggestion.
Dylan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Isn't against some law, somewhere to cook a brisket packer on a gas grill? Or any I confusing that with something else?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
drewcountry
Found some matches.

I know I'm breaking every unspoken religious law about cooking on gas, but I'm building my new big trailer smoker and I don't have any room in my UDS. The Briskets are so large that I don't think I can put them both in the UDS. I will try but I might have to go back to my old shameful way. (just this once)

Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
landarc

Your UDS has only one rack? Most have two. You can do it on a gasser, can you get your gasser to hold the proper temperature? Some gassers do not like to run too low. Also, you will need some foil bombs, foil packets filled with wood chips and poked with holes to add smoke. Or you could put a chunk of wood onto your heat bars, this is a bad idea for the long term as it will cause the bars to be damaged.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

BBQ Grail you know it's an unwritten law LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
drewcountry
Found some matches.

My UDS only has one rack. I'm going to try to put them both on the UDS but it will be tight. I don't like using my gasser for this stuff, but until my 22' trailer with a 10' long 36" diameter chamber is finished, I have to do the unspoken!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

20 lb briskets! Holy MegaCow, Batman! I once saw an 18lb brisket and almost fainted

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcountry View Post
My UDS only has one rack. I'm going to try to put them both on the UDS but it will be tight. I don't like using my gasser for this stuff, but until my 22' trailer with a 10' long 36" diameter chamber is finished, I have to do the unspoken!

that might be worse than using the gasser on one of them. if its too tight your air flow will suck and end up making some crap out of 2 sweet cuts of meat. do you really need to cook 40lbs at one crack, if so run out to wally world and grab another rack and some bolts and throw another rack on the UDS or start making foil packs to feed the gasser. (the gass will work if you have multiple burners and get creative with you meat location and creating a "vent". good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't know about jamming both those briskets on the same rack of a UDS, depending on how much of a "tight fit" it is.
You do want smoke to be able to get around the briskets entirely, so if they're jammed in there side to side the smoke's not gonna get wrap around.. and it prolly won't be too good for the rub on those sides.
Hope it all works out for you in either event, good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

drew, this is just some experienced opinion for real cheap. Two 20 lbs packers on one rack on a UDS ain't gonna work out for you. Trust me...it won't work. If you can add the second rack, that will work. Other than that, can't help with the gasser deal. Good luck bro and let us know how it works out!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
BBQ Grail

Drew, I'm just up the road in Rocklin. If you ever want some help just PM me and I'll pop down and we'll figure it out.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Drew, I'm just up the road in Rocklin. If you ever want some help just PM me and I'll pop down and we'll figure it out.
And don't forget to ask him for an autograph.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
drewcountry
Found some matches.

Ok..I just got hit with the stupid stick. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I put two turkeys on the UDS once and they turned out like crap. DUH! I get the point from ya'll that two briskets on one rack is bad. If I put another rack on the UDS what about the heat. Will it be uniform enough on both cuts of meat? Will the lower one get hotter faster? This is new territory for me! Please advise. T minus 10 hours!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
drewcountry
Found some matches.

OK ran into a little problem. The UDS is doing better than the Webber at holding the temp. The brisket on the smoker looks great!
The Webber is cooking the brisket at about 160 after 2 hours. That seems really fast. I took the temp down to 250 to slow it down, but I feel like I've already done the damage. Any ideas?