The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Whiskey Chips

Being a well seasoned veteran of whiskey consumption, I couldn't pass up the whiskey chips setting on the shelf at a store I frequent. Whiskey smell was just too much to pass up, hope to test them this weekend. Anyone ever tried this? If they're not good for smokin, I'll just eat them.

Last edited by 4dueces; 05-28-2010 at 09:52 AM..
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

I have used the Jack Daniels chips quite a few times.

I have noticed that they really don't add any whiskey flavor to the food. I usually save them for when friends/family are visiting and I am cooking outside.

Because what these chips give is about 10 minutes or so of the greatest Jack Daniels smokey aroma. It really impresses folks that really don't cook outside that often. So I buy a bag every now and then just for that 'WOW' factor..........

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I'm sure it will be fun to use them - but if you're looking for whiskey flavor then you might think of using whiskey in a sauce. I have used a whiskey mop before - but I think that the evaporation of the alcohol actually dries the meat out slightly. The whiskeyy "flovor" in the chips probably won't penetrate enough to impart flavor

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have used the Jack Daniels chips, smell great. The oak is a high quality white oak and it smokes nicely, better if you can get chunks. It does little to add whiskey flavor is at all. I tend to cook off the alcohol prior to applying to meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've tried things like this but IMO they do not add much flavor if any to the meat.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Landarc, I tend to drink off all the alcohol. Burning it off seems like a waste of good whiskey to me????
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dueces View Post
Landarc, I tend to drink off all the alcohol. Burning it off seems like a waste of good whiskey to me????
I totally agree... as a whiskey drinker here too, the way to enchance any BBQ is to drink the whiskey, not cook with it. This comes especially recommended arter Landarc's "Farkin Whoooosh" episode
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Used them not long ago as the local store didn't have any hickory chips left. Thought the smoke was ok - the most interesting thing I found was when I soaked the chips before throwing them on.... The leftover water and area around where they were soaking smelled like a spilled bottle of Crown Royal.... I'd use them again - like already said - they're good for show....