The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
zzphenom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need some suggestions for sides!

Ok, so this memorial day we're doing a whole hog for the first time. While that's going to be the meat I need to prepare sides for the meal also. As of right now, I know we have potato salad, an italian pasta salad, that pasta salad with tuna, elbows and peas. I'm thinking we might make a rice dish, and MAYBE try our hand at moink balls.

The pig is only 60 pounds. We dont know how many people are going to show up, but I'm figuring 20-30 people. I've never ordered a pig so if I need bigger please tell me!

Anyway, I would love some advice on what other sides would go great with this meal, so any ideas and/or recipes would be great!
zzphenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I would say these definitely! Keri C's hog apple baked beans
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07&postcount=9

Cole slaw goes good with pig...so would a cucumber salad

MOINKS and ABT's will usually dissappear quickly, you could make fatties....the list is endless!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
I would say these definitely! Keri C's hog apple baked beans
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07&postcount=9

Cole slaw goes good with pig...so would a cucumber salad

MOINKS and ABT's will usually dissappear quickly, you could make fatties....the list is endless!

I can't agree more with these suggestions.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
kevin robie

It sounds good. I might suggest a fruit cobbler with vanilla ice cream for desert? It is easy to make, can be made ahead and easy to serve or warm up. I have a great recipe i'll share if interested...
kevin robie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

keg of beer would work for me
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
keg of beer would work for me

Why only one keg? You could try as a side a bbq parfait. (Clear 12oz cup with pork and beans in the bottom layered with pulled pork then coleslaw and a pickle spear for a spoon.)

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Gotta have some baked beans, with some hamburger and some of the pulled pork in it.
Moink balls, pig candy, abt's, fatty. Pick one or two, the priorty being (putting it on the pit and leaving it) I made the mistake of doing too much, and had to open the pit too often dropping temps and extending cooking time.

its good to have something for the men and womens to eat on while you patiently wait for the pig to get done when it gets done, not a minute sooner. And because of this its better to have appetizers than a bunch of sides.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
zzphenom

Thanks for all the advice guys! I forgot about some of those. I'm definitely going to use some. Also I'm definitely interested in that cobbler recipe!

We're going to have the pig cooking on one cooker, while having another smoker available for other items. The smoke is kind of experimental, its basically a giant drum smoker. 3 foot diameter and approx 4' tall actual smoking area with the firebox so to speak below that. I've used it to cook ribs but I haven't used it for much else I'm looking forward to putting it through the ropes.
zzphenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tomato pie is a great side, easy to make, and people will love it. You can used canned tomatoes. Ask anyone at the Pretty Good BBQ what they thought of it.

For one hotel pan, use 4X28 ozs cans of crushed tomatoes, drained. Add salt and pepper to taste, dried basil (3-4 tbspn), oregano (2 tbsp), tarragon (2 tbsp). Top with mixture of 6 cups grated cheddar and 2-3 cups mayo (mixed to help spread), top with one sleeve of crushed up saltines. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or put in smoker until hot.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Fire roasted corn on the cob. remove the silk but leave the husk and pull it back over the kernels. I did mine in the smoker with some rib-eyes and it was so sweet and juicy it didn't even need butter! You could if you wanted to, tho. I've seen others on the boards use herb butter also.

Baked potatoes would also be easy to do- all you have to do is cook them and the guests do all the rest!

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

gotta have the beans. if suppers got a little bark or char on it there has to be beans beside it.

we also chop up taters with garden veggies (beans, carrots, peppers, onions, seasoning and chopped bacon, wrap in foil with a shot of EVOO and throw it over some coals flipping occasionally.

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
Tomato pie is a great side, easy to make, and people will love it. You can used canned tomatoes. Ask anyone at the Pretty Good BBQ what they thought of it.
This is what I was going to suggest. I'm not a real big tomato guy, but this stuff rocked with BBQ.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

diced mangoes, red onions and jalapenos with cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
kevin robie

sorry so late in responding. Use a full pan, disposable is fine. In bottom, put four sticks of salted butter and melt in oven. Add one number ten can of fruit such as sliced peaches or apples. Empty the whole can. I get them from GFS. Mix together 5 cups AP flour, 5 cups sugar, 2 TBS baking powder and enough milk to make consistency of pancake batter. Sprinkle one teaspoon of good cinnamon over fruit and dump in batter. Cook in oven at 375* for about one hour and uncover and cook 15 minutes to brown topping. This can be done a day or two ahead and then heated in the oven or grill. Top with a generous scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. This recipe will serve 25. It also freezes well and can be nuked one time.
kevin robie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here are some recommendations from my recipe box:

Cucumber & Red Onion Salad

Grilled Salad

Southwest Slaw

Just some ideas,
John