MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Flat Cooking Help

It's hard getting packers where I'm at, so I get my flats from Sam's Club (8 - 10 lb range). Actually, today they also had 12, 14 and 15 lb flats...........never seen them that big before!

I generally smoke at 250°F in an offset smoker using all wood.
What is the best method for cooking a flat to keep it moist and still get it very tender? Is the method different for a flat than it is for a packer?

- What is the best temp?
- Will foiling during the cook help? (should I add a liquid to the foil?)
- If I have to cook too long to get it tender will it dry out?
- Is it better to cook a larger brisket, like one of those monsters that I mentioned above, rather than a smaller one?
- I hold in a preheated cooler. Is a longer hold time better than a shorter hold time?

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Bacchus

I have more success going hotter than mid 200's on brisket. They seem jucier at 325-350deg.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the lower temps. Had bad luck with stringy edges at the higher temps. I inject with a beef broth based mixture with some spices, worsteshire, a touch of a1, and have had good moisture in the finished product. Foil at 165 and pour in the remainder of your injection mix.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook on a WSM, and cook fat side down to 160*, flip it over fat side up, then foil with 1/4 cup of liquid. I then cook it to 195*, and let it sit for at least an hour. This usually gives me a very moist brisket.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

First step is I would find a place that apparently does not carry the freaky size of a brisket flat that weighs more than some packers do. I 10 pound flat (which has the deckle or point removed) must come from some huge assed cow.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
juggs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

do you cook your brisket to 195 with the temps taken in the skinny flat section 0r at the real thick part , i belive they call the point?
juggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Patio Daddio has a good technique -

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/0...f-brisket.html

Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

12 - 15 lb flats? I have trouble finding 12 - 15 lb packers at times!

A big flat should cook just fine. I do mine fat down since the heat source in my FEC is from below. If you are worried about it drying out, you can inject it or cover it with bacon.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Greg60525

Those large flats are rare, generally, they are in the 6 to 8 pound range. I typically try to get 8 pounders.

I also cook fat side down the whole time, as I having tuning plates, which have a lot of radiated heat. I also tend to cook on the bottom grate..........maybe the second grate would be better to avoid drying out??

I check the temp in the thickest part of the brisket (for a flat). If it's a packer, which I rarely get, I still check the temp in the thickest part of the flat, never in the point.

Thanks for all of the advice,