MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
royfraz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Brisket Injection

I have a new WSM waiting on me when I get home from out of town and seriously want to fire it up this weekend. I have seen folks talk about the butcher injection, but don't have time to order it and have it get here in time, and I really want to do a 4hr. brisket out of curiousity. Are any of the Injections you can get at a academy worth a darn just to try, or does anybody have a easy recipe to make my own. Should I buy one of those gigantic syrenges that you use for a turkey so you don't constantly get stuff clogging it.

Thanks,
Roy
royfraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I use a simple solution of beef broth, wooster and a little bit of a fine grain rub.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never seen an injection available at Academy. If you are set on injecting, I'd go with a no sodium beef broth and add some of the rub you intend to use as long as it doesn't have too much sodium in it. Simmer that for a while so that the flavors blend. If your rub has a lot of stuff that could clog a needle I'd strain using cheesecloth.

Let us know how everything works out, no matter what you do.

Edit: Be careful pumping that thing up. Cooking hot and fast, you can blow it up(almost literally) if you inject too much into it. Ask Phil about my brisket at a contest where we later found out that we were cooking a little hotter than we thought

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

The Moore's Marinade at Academy is pretty darn good. I have injected into chickens.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

i have used butchers brisket and pork marinades and they work great. i will be using them this weekend in a comp.
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

B-O-B 206-999-0962 [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
[URL="http://www.ribolator.com/"]http://www.ribolator.com[/URL] [URL]http://www.bungeeclips.com[/URL]
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

if you order from kosmo q today, there is a good chance it'll be at you by saturday. they ship super quick.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

At home I make a "tea" out of beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder and whatever rub and I going to use on the out side. I heat the broth and seasonings to just below boiling and then let it all steep for a few minutes and then cool and strain out the bits.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
royfraz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

sounds good do you usually use a big gigantic turkey needle or just some smaller ones and shoot it quite a few more times. How much seasoning do you mix in with the beef broth
royfraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I use one of the boxes of broth (32 oz) and add about a tablespoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of rub. That is more than enough for two 12 - 15 lb briskets.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I use a product called Better Than Bouillon. Think It's national. A very thick paste that you thin with water. Works great for almost anything. Lasts in the fridge forever.

I do not like a turkey baster for injecting, go to a kitchen store and invest in a good one. Injecting is good!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote