The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default wadaya think? 1st presentation practice

hi guys. if y'all got a sec, let me know what you think of the meat presentation. this was my first time cooking all 4 in 1 night for turn in time and real comp quality. no boxes on hand, though. also, the pics look like the ribs and chicken are dark burnt, but really they were nice dark redish. anyway, any thoughts would be great.
thanks everyone!

Last edited by boogiesnap; 08-23-2010 at 06:54 PM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I have no idea what I'm saying but;

Your pork bark is a bit dark.

Your brisket looks like the burnt ends, aren't burnt. And lay off the sauce on brisket.

Your ribs are too dark, foil them.

Your chicken is too dark.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I think it all looks real good! If you asking for scores.
1st pic of beef 8, but I almost go 7, those little chunks are dropping score
Pork 7 could be 8, add more chunks
Ribs, hard to tell by pic maybe 7?
Chicken by your PIC 6-7, if it's lighter in color as you say 7
It looks good either way
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

yeah, color of the pics is kinda off. everyhting was more the color of the whole rib slabs.
except for chickies, those were dark.

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I that's the case everything looks like an 8.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks guys, the comments are helping for sure.
chix need more attention to detail, both in prep and cook. but not a total failure, taste was gu-ood.
ribs, not sure why they look burnt. glaze was too thick, maybe that shows in the pic as burnt?
pork, yup, more chunks for sure. i think i'll present the whole MM next time. prob is need a slice to taste...maybe the bark was dark, i'll pay more attention as to when to butcher paper(no foil fellas).
brisket, less sauce, maybe, but this is for the northeast. we like some sauce so...but i see what your sayin. burnt ends, dude put some burnt showing will ya???!!! too small of peices, maybe, i was thinking delicious little morsels akin to an M&M, but beef flavored. the point is so fatty not sure i want that much fat into 1 peice. make ne sense? i dunno, i dumb.
thanks guys.

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I think you would probably put a lot of seasoned veterans to shame. I think your brisket looks absolutely awesome. I agree that larger chunks would help - but that pic made my mouth water. If those were presented symmetrically on a good putting green you'd get a 9 from me. Pork also looked good. I am experimenting with larger chunks right now. Don't know if it would help - but that's what I'd do. Money muscle looked really good. 8.

Chicken looks like it could be great - but as presented the skin on some looks close to burnt. If they were really that dark I'd be generous with a 7 - but I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. Ribs are by far the worst pic - but trusting that they aren't that black looking I'd say with what you presented I give you a strong 7 and perhaps an 8 if they looked good in the box

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
billm
is One Chatty Farker

brisket and pork look great..
Brinkmann Cimmarron Offset
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

That brisket and pork looks great. I would probably give them 9's. Ribs are a bit dark as you said, but probably a 7 from the pic as is. Chicken looks burnt, I'd probably give that a 6.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
BearCat
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the pork and brisket, glad you posted this tohough cause that is about how i do my ends and the comments here helped (larger pieces for me )
BearCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would not change a thing on the brisket and pork. The slices look like they are undercooked though. May just be the picture. Ribs are dark and I do not comment on chicken.!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

There are a lot of guys out here with a hell of a lot more experience than me. But just my 2 pennies, Everything looks great btw, and im just throwing some critique out there. The brisket looks great, but too much sauce, possibly more slices and less burnt ends. Pork looks good, but put more in there, 8 slices of money muscle, fill up the box with chunks. Ribs, look good, but the top 3, the one in the middle definitely came from a different rack. The chicken you've already figured out. Remember, if you only have 6 pieces, there's 6 judges, but that last judge doesnt get to pick, he has to just take the last one. So giving at least 8 serves 2 purposes, making sure the last judge doesnt just have to "settle" for the last piece, and that the volunteers who aren't judging get fed. Looking good thou, keep up the good work!

Unread 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks again everyone. i did pull the brisky off @ 185, but the temp probe was going into it like there was nothing even inside the butcher paper. then rested in coleman for 4 hours. to all my testers taste and tenderness were pretty spot on. pork i used to shred, this way is much better, but am having a little trouble getting those whole muscles off the bone gently without tearing them. chicken does need work, for sure. both prep and cook.
we'll see what some judges say this week-end. then i think cape cod is next. will certainly try to get to the battle later in the summer too!

Unread 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
but am having a little trouble getting those whole muscles off the bone gently without tearing them. !
That may be a sign that the pork isn't ready - unless you intend to slice those pieces. Unless the tearing you are referring to is the muscle falling apart instead of coming off the bone whole. I guess I'm thinking by tearing you mean the meat is still sticking to the bone thus it tears.

Unread 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

possibly, but the bone came out with a gentle tug. i think i just didn't handle the goods properly. but, looking at the smoke ring on the MM the pork maybe coulda used a bit more time on the cooker. oh, well, looks like i'll have to make another....