MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket Aging Question

Okay, so I have been aging my briskets for a while now. The one I put on the smoker last night I aged for exactly 40 days. It wasn't by choice, rather by circumstance (since I had one left over from last week's competition). I normally age around 30 days. So, I opened the package and the meat had a distinct "funky" smell. It wasn't rancid smelling, but definitely funky. It went away a couple of minutes after I started trimming. I had my daughter smell it, and she said it smelled like "meat". I've since cooked the brisket, and I'm in the final stages. I've tasted some samples as I'm foiling and cubing, and it tastes absolutely perfect.

Question: when and how do you know if a brisket is "bad" after aging?
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

meat comes into our country from overseas that is covered in maggots and mold/fuzz. all they do is power wash and scrape it down and then off to market with it. i know its gross, but i dont think its as much about the freshness as it is with reaching a temp where the harmfull bacteria is dead. if you think about it...the aging process is taking advantage of "rotting".

good luck.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
meat comes into our country from overseas that is covered in maggots and mold/fuzz. all they do is power wash and scrape it down and then off to market with it. i know its gross, but i dont think its as much about the freshness as it is with reaching a temp where the harmfull bacteria is dead. if you think about it...the aging process is taking advantage of "rotting".

good luck.
Where the fark do you buy your meat???
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
UDS
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
lol no kidding, I buy from a store that gets its meat from the packing plant a couple towns over...
UDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post

good luck.
Reminds me of the meat markets I saw in the countryside in India...
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Power wash? Ugggg

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
this is at the shipping ports not the packing houses. there have been documented stories for years about the condition of imported meat that gets passed by the usda.

even local meat counters have games they play with cuts of meat to extend their shelf time.

as far as my meat, i have a local butcher shop that i usually go through, although i also have my own herd of mixed cattle, i choose not to butcher my own since there are only certain cuts from the animal that i want and i can only eat so much hamburger. better for me to take mine to the sale barn.

i grew up in a midwestern meat packing town, there is nothing people can tell me about meat that would shock me or make me not eat meat.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

ah come on. BS! maggots and pressure washing, As an electrician at a packing house, it was amazing at the prefectly good meat that didnt get passed. Shipped overseas and got maggots?..... Vacuum sealed and frozen. Where are the flies getting in?
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
You're farking beautiful Bubba!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

i am not saying it is a norm, i know i read an article a few years ago that talked about it though. i am unsuccessfully trying to find an old link.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

So, I guess the answer to my question...

If it don't kill you, it's okay?
[/SIZE]

Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
Question: when and how do you know if a brisket is "bad" after aging?
When the funky smell doesn't go away.

Rinse and trim off the dark patches and you'll end up with a nice piece of meat to cook.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
So, I guess the answer to my question...

If it don't kill you, it's okay?

words to live by my friend...that and "its easier to ask forgiveness, than it is permission."

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the feedback Rob...that's what I kind of figured. Just needed some confirmation.
[/SIZE]

Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Found an article that will make maggots in your meat seem normal - apparently FDA allows all kinds of great stuff in things like mushrooms, tomato juice, etc before it being considered not for human consumption...

For your reading pleasure... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/op...levy.html?_r=2