עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How many pre trim prior to the comp

Hello again, all, I finally finished my first comp, and boy what an experience.

As I was sweating several body parts off, I noticed several things, not the lest of which is I was not the only person prepping, but I was not nearly as relaxed as others, especially the ones walking around with beverages...jealous Mod....

It was a lot of work to set up the spot, ezup, tents etc, and then prep.
Of course a nice trailer would solve this issue, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

So how many trim prior to arriving on site? It seems that would save me quite a bit of time.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Meadowcreek PR60
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven

Last edited by Goddahavit; 05-18-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on your first contest! You'll find the setup and teardown will become routine after a few more comps.

I try to get everything trimmed at home, especially chicken.

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We're also a team that has to set up and tear down with each contest (popups and WSMs), and we've done it both ways. We started out pretrimming. Then as our schedule got heavier, sometimes there just wasn't time -- until it practically became routine to do trimming at the venue.

We've tried hard to make time to have pretrimming done again. Especially with chicken, I'd SO much rather have it handled in a sanitary, controlled environment instead of field conditions.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

On this forum, I'd say a high majority trim what they can before arriving at the comp. My team is my brother and I, we're probably in the minority here as we only trim chicken prior to leaving for a comp. We find that chicken is the most time consuming and frankly a pain in the arse, so I do it at home so I can give it time without being in a hurry.

I prep our chicken and pork and my brother does brisket and ribs - therefore, I only have to trim on site is pork and that's easy. If I were in charge of all 4 meats, I'd prep chicken and brisket at home for sure and spares if time allowed to do at home.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've got all of my meats trimmed and packaged for the next 3 comps.....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Trim everything at home always... unless circumstances prevent it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

chicken, absolutly. The rest kind of varies with our travel schedule. If we are arriving early. I'd prefer to have something to do. (otherwise I drink too much) Or if we are short on help. I'll try to get done a head of time.

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

It depends on how much time we have!! We(Vern) always trim chicken on Saturday morning. We have had it go bad a few times and would hate to waste our time trimming just to have to do it again.
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Go bad? Do you keep it in your trailer fridge or in an ice packed cooler? Even though we have a fridge, I keep the chicken packed in ice until it's time to season it.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Go bad? Do you keep it in your trailer fridge or in an ice packed cooler? Even though we have a fridge, I keep the chicken packed in ice until it's time to season it.
This was before we had the fridge in the trailer. It was in ice but who knows anything could have happened. If you trim the morning of the cook and your chicken gets warm while you are doing it in won't mater as you will be cooking it shortly. Just my opinion.
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Divemaster

If I have time (like before the season starts) I'll trim my chicken and then put it in my deep freezer (-20*), then it goes directly to my cooler (still frozen) with the rest of the meat (defrosted) and ice, then to the top of the cambro we use to for our raw meat along with an hotel pan of ice to defrost and keep the rest of the meat cold.

I've yet to have any of my meats go bad. In fact, I've had a couple of slabs of ribs that I've taken back while trimming that I would have been screwed if I had taken to a comp untrimmed....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Chicken definitely. I will be spending a late night tomorrow night (after work and after my daughter's school concert) trimming up thighs into the wee hours for our comp this weekend. Normally, when time permits, I will trim the other meats at home as well. It's just so much better to do this in a controlled environment like your kitchen than outside where you're not sure what you're going to have to deal with. But I got the briskets and my partner does the butts and ribs, so if we trim on-site those aren't too bad.

We have the same setup you do, EZups, tables and such. After a few comps, you'll get into the groove of what you need to do and setup/breakdown will get easier. Just dont forget to have FUN!
KCBS
MABA
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I am in the minority here but we do not trim anything before going to a comp. The only thing that I would think about doing ahead of time is the chicken but I find that I have plenty of time to trim it and everything else at the contest.

We also only use ez-ups ect in comps you will find that set up is easier everytime you do it.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ

When I do a Comp I prefer to pre trim
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

i havent bretriimed in 6 years,,

then this year i did.. chicken and brisket.

What a huge time relief... I will be trimming at home from here on out./

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote