oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: What should KCBS spend cash on?
KCBS TOY 1 1.92%
big contests 0 0%
small contests 16 30.77%
promoting BBQ at all 35 67.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I'd like them to focus more on the smaller contests. The bigger contests will already have the built in cash from sponsors, etc, and the KCBS spending a little extra cash to promote the smaller contests opens up more people to BBQ, and provides a great way for smaller, younger teams (like mine) an oppertunity to be competetive in a contest witout dropping a few 100K on a rig.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I do find it funny that folks that voted against it, are still allowed to reap profits off of KCBS... I don't need to go into detail, as it is all public knowledge. I am sure there is some good reason behind it... I just can't think of it now...

One reason I dont think that I would vote for the mentioned motion would be, what if Sams says here is $5million for team of the year. Would KCBS then have to come up with $5million in cash for a charity in order to take the money or give 1/2 of the money to charity...I just dont think that it is a good idea to place arbitrary restraints on money that you dont have yet.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Expand the judges training and give grants and funds to smaller contests so they can provider better power and water. Bring up the bottom a little and build a war chest so they dont have to sanction any ole contests who can clear a check.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Why such a push for TOY and spending so much money on it? It is already highly promoted. And why push so hard for the larger teams with lots of sponsorships money that can freely cook so many comps and push out the lower scoring ones to get all of the points for TOY. Why not divide it into two categories? One for under 15 events a year for us smaller teams that are struggling to get just a few comps in a year. There are a LOT of us that are self funding, so give us a break as well.

Why not give the smaller events a little push so to speak and let them get their feet "wet" and on their own. Let the field grow and expand the playing field.

Why not spend a little on more evenly trained judging. Why not spend more on table captain classes. The way I see it on the KCBS website, there must be abt 30 judging classes scattered all over, but only 1 table captain class listed for the remainder of this year. I hear KCBS is needing table captains desperately, if so, where are the classes.

And a little more push for comps here on the east coast. Most all of the ones I have to go to are at least abt 4 hrs each way.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->